Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Tire Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 AM
1996Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Tire Kit Install

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the Heartland 250 Kit for my 96 Softail custom thanks to Bart from Catseye for his help. Keeping in line with Murphy's Law the first kit I received was for a newer model softail but after calling Heartland they were very helpful and sent out a new kit that day and I got the right one the next time. The kit came and I proceded to tear my bike apart no small feat considering I never attempted anything like this before. The tranny and primary work was easy this being an older model Ijust had to put on a 1 inch tranny offset plate and a 1 inch extension on the engine output shaft. Then Murphy came back I removed the strut horns and grinded as per instructions and the swingarm was still hitting the frame after another call to heartland and sending some pics to show the problem they said the swingarm is off and they will send me another one but one small problem they do not have any right now so they will send one as soon as possible. I have been sitting idle for 2 weeks unable to do any work till I get the swingarm. But again they are very helpful at Heartland so I am not complaining s**t happens right?
I ordered new wheels from pro 1 as I had the Storm Series wheels pulley and rotors on the bike before I thought it would be better to get the same ones and save money on the pulley and rotors but Murphy showed up again when the new wheels arrived the front one was damaged and the rear hub did not fit the rotor and pulley, again everything that I get comes for a newer model does everyone hate us old school guys or what? But after a phone call to pro1 they are replacing the front wheel and I had the rotor and pulley machined for the rear and they fit great now thanks to North Shore Customs in New Hyde Park NY. So as of today I am in a holding pattern waiting for the swingarm to proceed with the work hopefully Murphy will be on vacation and stay out of my garage. I will follow up with progress and pics as the work proceeds check in with this post from time to time there is alot of knowledge here on the Forum and I am sure I will have many questions as time goes by.

Check out the pics of the job here

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...%20Tire%20Kit/

[IMG]local://upfiles/25987/ACE5B0BA3E394993B2E1FC316043FC76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
DrawDown
Road Master
Default RE: Wide Tire Kit Install

Should look sweet when it's done. Cant wait to see the pics. G'luck on the rest of the install

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe you should buy a lottery ticket

Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the benefits of living in the east and having snow outside. If it was sunny and 70* I believe your thread would be a tad bit "heated".

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Good luck the rest of the way.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
1996Softail
Cruiser

The way my luck has been going I would win and lose the ticket on the way to collect

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
1996Softail
Cruiser

Branner it was 70 here last week and all I could do was watch my friends ride by but your right thank god the pleasant riding weather is2 months away

Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be a saint.[sm=grinangel.gif] I would have come unglued way before this. [sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us updated, I also have a 96 softail custom and I am planning on going with a 250 tire soon.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
hammr_hed
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is all this costing you...we already know it's cost a few blown fuses!![:@] Most guys would lose their lids...way to keep it under your hat. Saved a few years on the back end of life right there...

Nothing like getting excited to start a project and getting shot down due to human error. Frustrating to the point you almost have to expect it anymore. [:'(]

Should look great. Considering wide tire for my springer, but from what I've seen, its not cheap by any means.

Good luck with the rest...looking forward to posting the deserving CONGRATS!!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought this was a 5-6k upgrade? i liked the idea of a 250 untill i got their pricelist. lol

3500 for the kit, plus 1500 or so for the rim and tire

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Kit Install