Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my bike have a power commander or a V & H fuel pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Tom in Va
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my bike have a power commander or a V & H fuel pack?

I sasked this on another section but haven't received a reply. I have a 2003 FLSTCI (Heritage Classic). I just added a K&N filter and the bike has V&H BSS. I will be adding the quiet baffels and will need to have the bike dyno-tuned and remapped. Friends of mine at Cycle City, which is also an authorized HD service center, can dyno-tune my bike for half the price that the local dealer charges if my bike has a power commander or a V&H fuel pack. HD will not give them access to the hardware needed to dyno-tune the bike if it is'nt equipped with one of these. I guess that insures more money for stealer.How can I tell if the bike has one of these? I know it is somewhere under the seat. Any help is appreciated: Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/2541/D22E46EFA7DD4710ADC7848E8C071004.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 06:09 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Does my bike have a power commander or a V & H fuel pack?

If you have a box it should be very easy to tell. They are about 3"x4"x1" in size and will be plugged in line with the ECM (the black box mounted on the fender under the seat). From the sound of it, your bike simply has the HD flash to the ECM.

Mark

Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what they are basically telling you is that they don't know how to tune a SERT (Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner).........

how can an "authroized HD service center" not know how to tune a SERT which isHD reccomened tuning software?

HMmmmmm..........[:-]

Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Tom,

Let's try this again. If your bike has a FuelPak or a PowerCommander, there isn't much need for a dyno-tune. Both of these fuel managers have "maps" that are either hand-entered or downloaded, respectively. Most folks do just fine with the "canned" maps with the stage 1 options you have mentioned. Some indys (independant shops) will dyno-tune a PCIII, but with all the maps out there already, there isn't much advantage compared to the price you'll pay for dyno-time.

HD steelers typically don't like messing with third-party tuners. Indys don't mind a bit.

If your bike has a SERT, or your stock ECM had a stage 1 downloaded, then a dyno will be advised.

If you look under your seat, it should be easy to spot a little box that says "FuelPak" or "Power Commander", each the size mentioned by commander112, with a a large connector and cable harness heading towards the ECM metal box, which is tray-mounted on the leading end of your rear fender (under the seats).

Good luck with Stage 1; once everything is straighted out for you, you'll be very happy with the performance gains.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good summary PoorBoy.