Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
mfelsk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want new pipes

im looking at geting v&h sideshots for my 04 Fat Boy and i just called the stealer and they said i have to get an aftermarket tuner for my bike or it will run like crap. i want new pipes but my wife will kill me if i have to get new pipes and a programer. is this true or are they just tring to get more money out of me?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Default RE: want new pipes

Hookers...........Sweet.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Jzabel
Tourer

V&H Big Radius w/ big city thunder baffles..

Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm selling Hooker Rebel Darksides in the classifieds here. They are brand new/never used for only $350 plus shipping (retail is about 650). They look like this:

Link to ad:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2744014/m...tm.htm#2744014

Old 01-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, since nobody else had an actual response to your question, I'll do my best. I'm not that familiar with an 04, but I know on the newer bikes with the TC96 that it's pretty much a requirement to do pipes, air cleaner and some type of fuel management at the same time.

You'd certainlydo yourself well to check somewhere other than the dealer though. There are a lot of places online where you can get great prices on everything you need and installation is not going to be too challenging on any of these items.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:51 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mfelsk

im looking at geting v&h sideshots for my 04 Fat Boy and i just called the stealer and they said i have to get an aftermarket tuner for my bike or it will run like crap. i want new pipes but my wife will kill me if i have to get new pipes and a programer. is this true or are they just tring to get more money out of me?
Well, I am assuming by your question that the bike is EFI. If it is and you are replacing the pipes, yes in order for the bike to maintain the proper AFR you will need something like the SERT, PC III USB, Vance and Hines Fuel Pack or one of the many others. If you can't afford to do it right, I would just wait, when you do this type of upgradeit is also a good time to put a new Air Cleaner setup on there to let more air, new exhaust let more exhaust out and the Fuel management device to set the fuel tables correctly. If you are going with the Vance and Hines pipes, call Vance and Hines and talk to them about their Vance and Hines Fuel Pack I believe it is called, it is a simple version of a Power Commander and it will suffice. They can program it before it ships and you just plug it in, can't get any easier than that. They will need to know if you are using the stock Air Cleaner or an after market one.

If you just put the pipes on, well it will run. Probably real lean though. If you don't mind it running lean and possibly damaging something then I would go for it.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:12 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are EFI, you have to do something.
I have an 05 and put slip ons last summer. It needs and will get fuel management before spring.
Check into Fuelmoto for the PCIII.
Thats where Im going.
MikeM

Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no, well and I would say no.
no, if you only do the pipes you dont need to do fuel management.
yes, if you do a air filter upgrade and stock pipes you need fuel management.
just keep an eye on your spark plugs to make sure they are not lean.
your engine is an air pump it can only put out as much air as it can suck in.
you can do a air filter and pipe upgrade and do a stage 1 download. I would not just because of the cost.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience was that pipes only did not require anything further. but keep in mind, these things are lean already..............better keep an eye on your plugs. Or pop for the HD A/C and a PCIII from fuelmoto and your set to go.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to get away with just changing the exhaust on your 2004. Changing the air intake from stock to a SE air filter or equivalent, will change your A/F ratio a lot more. Check your plugs now and then check them a few times after you change the exhaust. If they read good and the bike performs well, you are all set.
Tom

Quick Reply: want new pipes