Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i do this ?? I think not

Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i do this ?? I think not

I want my football air cleaner gone,and replaced with a cool round one. However,i do not want to stage one it as of now... Can't do it withough changing air intake. Right ? Seems like there should be a work around for this project. Anyone have ideas ? This would be on my 2008 Heritage . Great minds on here.... Feedback please . Thanks .

Old 01-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Default RE: Can i do this ?? I think not

I hate the football too. I have the SE upgrade but I thought you could use a different cover without that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47433/22B6E3A467D7419B863A052F5962FF54.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2008, 04:54 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

The stock filter is a strange shape and the only thing that fits it (that I know of) are football shaped covers. I've been told you can change out the filter and cover with no performance problems if you leave the stock pipes and EFI alone. I don't know that for a fact, just what I've heard and read here at hdforums.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Jzabel
Tourer

i've got a round cover and filter thati took off...no scratches....I'll sell it to you...if you're interested pm me.

Btw, I changed my breather to the pic below and didn't do a thing to it.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

If you put on a realativley low cfm filter, it shouldn't make a real difference. And frankly with the Twin Cam heads being limited in how much air they can suck in, I'd change it and ride it..

Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree....

That 'stock filter cover' doesn't do much for looks.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Check this thread out. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2491646/tm.htm

Located in the Dyna section. I did this Mod also. I used the Arlin Ness Big Sucker Chrome backing plate.
Purchased it From Eastern Performance on ebay. You could use a Screamin eagle Kit also.
I Went with the Ness from eastern Performance because it come with a oiled Airaid Filter similar to the K&N. replaced it with a K&N after my dog Chewed it a bit.
Part # HD 0800 From Pepboys. The Screamin Eagle one comes with a Paper element.

You could find just a SE Backing plate for your Modelon ebay, Buy the K&Nfilter from Auto zone, Pepboys etc and Do your cover yourself. I think member mudpuddle has done a bunch of these for other members too.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just tried to put one on my stock AC and it "fits", but there is the problem of the backing plate still being football shaped. Your going to have to change that before it looks anything like decent.
The only problem is that if your bike is fuel injected than ANY change in the intake is going to DEMAND that you make sure the A/F ratios are correct.
That means either a Stage 1 download, a PCIII, or some other brandof fuel adder.
Failure to do so with the added air almost any aftermarket filter will give you is sure to cause higher engine temps and in extreme cases can even damage it.
You can generally get away with fooling with the exhaust without problems because the intake (stock) will choke off any extra air flow a better exhaust might allow. But fool with the intake and all bets are off.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Well said Citoriplus.
+1 on that

Old 01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My FatBoy has the SE air filter, modified exhaust, SERT, and a good dyno tune...

I didn't realize how well it ran and performed until I spent some time riding a friends Deuce, which is completely stock....

Big difference in performance once you get your bike setup and tuned correctly...

To badthey don't come that way from the factory so you don't have to spend the$$$ and have it done yourself. Guess we can thank the EPA for that....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can i do this ?? I think not