Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Added Passing Lights to my Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
ultravista
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Added Passing Lights to my Night Train

Today I installed a pair of passing lamps on my 01 Night Train. Bought them off ebay (new) for $80 from a dealer in the mid-West.

As I am going with a blacked out theme, the extra chrome up front will take a while to get accustomed to.

For those already with passing lamps, you know they are wired to the low beam of the headlight. High beam turns them off. To me (an apparently many others), it makes no sense to power off the passing lamps when the high beam is used. Logically, it would be darker with the high beam vs. the low beam and two 35 watt lamps.

It took a while for me to figure out where to get the power from. After reading a few posts here I traced the orange & white banded aux wire all the way down to the headlight connector. With my FXSTBI, the headlight is three wires (yellow, black & white). The connector on the light has three wires but the bike's wiring connector has four (yellow, black, white & orange). That's where I drew my power and the best part, it's right up front.

Luckily I had a few old wiring connectors and pulled the pin out of one to wire in the new lamps. What a pain in the *** though. It took me nearly 20 minutes to pull that female connector out of the harness. I read, re-read, and re-re-read the manual but for the life of me, I couldn't get the freaking thing out. I eventually pried it out from the back side with a small screwdriver.

With everything in place, I think it will help out tremendously.

Below are a few photos after the installation. The lamps weren't adjusted and the front end wasn't cleaned up ...

While the bike was somewhat torn apart, I also wrapped the drag bars in black hockey tape. The bars were removed anda forward & reversed layer of tape was applied. I also sprayed several coats of satin polyurethane to firm up the tape. For the time being, I like the look. Over time, the tape will get a little ratty, perfect for the Night Train look.

I got the idea from a local dealer here in Vegas, O' School Choppers. They wrap thier bar ends to create grips with this tape.

What do you guys do to drain the tank. What a freaking pain in the *** ... I do use a siphon but can never get all of the gas out. When the cross-over is removed, I always get get (and this time, lot's of it) everywhere. Please help ...

What do you think?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Just Added Passing Lights to my Night Train

I like the tape on the handle bars, but I cant say that Im real fond of the passing lamps for your bike. But hey as long as you like them thats all that matters. Have a good one.

Chris

Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I 've ever seen passing lampos on a NT before. Perhaps some photos fropm a distance would give a better perspective. It's your canvas, make it your own.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

Let me emphasize, to each their own. Since you posted it I'm hoping you expected honest opinions. Personally, I'd have spent the money on black powdercoat bars rather than the lamps. You black out the chrome bars but then add chrome passing lamps.

Like was previously said, as long as you like it, all is well!!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer

I thought about them a time or two because of riding home at night, the extra light would be sooo nice. It would also help other drivers see you during the day too.But I bought a real head lamp with a very good bulb and saved the COOL points.
But in the end, it's your money, and you're the one to ride it, so dare to be different.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/F52267E2945F4991B902B98F4D200D2D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM
ultravista
Road Captain

Thanks for all of the opinions.

I've already replaced the headlight bulb with a Sylvania (forget the type). It has made a difference but not enough. My concern is road debris at night. A friend nearly killed himself after he hit a wheel chock (?) while headed to work. My eye sight isn't the best and I have a hard time seeing the road at night. Not my surroundings but the road itself.

The bars, I may powder coat them someday. I've been thinking about it and a local place will do it for $20. By the way, the tank & fender are powder coated ...

All that chrome up front will takea while to get used to. If I do powder coat the bars, I'll have the lamp housings and trim ring done also. Only time will tell.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,392 Likes on 21,384 Posts

I hate ridin' at night. Way too many critters in this area, mostly deer, some turkeys where I live. I'm gettin' older and don't see that good any more in the dark, so I won't ride at night if that's an option. Many accidents happen at night as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the bars wouldlook better powder coated.

...and need a better picture from a distance to get a good judgment on the passing lights.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ultravista

Thanks for all of the opinions.

I've already replaced the headlight bulb with a Sylvania (forget the type). It has made a difference but not enough. My concern is road debris at night. A friend nearly killed himself after he hit a wheel chock (?) while headed to work. My eye sight isn't the best and I have a hard time seeing the road at night. Not my surroundings but the road itself.

The bars, I may powder coat them someday. I've been thinking about it and a local place will do it for $20. By the way, the tank & fender are powder coated ...

All that chrome up front will takea while to get used to. If I do powder coat the bars, I'll have the lamp housings and trim ring done also. Only time will tell.
While you got t apart, consider powder coating the triple trees. It'll look the **** on your ride!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Logically, it would be darker with the high beam vs. the low beam and two 35 watt lamps.
When you turn the high beam on it increases the intensity (I think) and throws the beam frather down the roadthus lighting up more of the road. I agree that you would probably get more light if the passing lights stayed on. It might be a power draw thing. I think the passing lights are more for other people seeing you.

Quick Reply: Just Added Passing Lights to my Night Train