Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control options

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Cruise Control options

I have seen this setup advertised in the back of "American Iron" http://www.cruisemount.com/and was all excited untill i saw the pics and the price...

But then i found this place: http://customizedcycles.com/softail_cruise/thats more my style and achieves the same thing by looking stock and costs about 200 less overall than the cruise mount "bucket bolted to the side" approach.

I dont want a throttle lock or a "thumb wheel extender"

I wonder why the 07 touring kit wont work with the softails? My speedo has the cruise control light, all i need is the actuator and controls... like the HD kit comes with. Is it just a case of wiring / splicing?

Are you paying $600-$800 for a wiring harness adaptor?

The HD kit sells for $350 ish.

Anyone have any input on this or used the customizedcycles kit? That looks like the best setup.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control options

Its the wiring, the splicing, the throttle cable that must have the roll-off feature and more. Its also in the case of the first one you posted, the cover for the module.

I think I prefer the second one you posted. Everything is hidden. I'll have to look into that one for my wifes Deluxe.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the Customizedcycle version better if for no other reason than you know you'll be able to get parts for it at any Harley dealer if you should have a problem with it in a couple of years.
The other thing is that because it uses mostly HD parts you can use the factory styled chrome switch controls and braided cables. Even if they were not originally designed for your particular bikeyou still have the option to"upgrade" thelooks later from a pile of common standardized parts.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I've been looking at them too, I like the customized cycles best, very well hidden. I have to research more though, I wanna know what about braided cables, I don't want my return cable black.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 AM
harleyryder
6th Gear

I think you guys may be confused. The kit from customized cycles use something "adapted" according to their site, while the one at www.cruisemount.com uses the genuine Harley cruise control, since you must purchase the actual cruise control from Harley.

By the way... I have had one from www.cruisemount.com since early 2002, first on my 2002 Softail, and then on my 2007 Softail. Works perfect, never any problem, excellent installation instructions, no cutting, splicing, sodiering, great clean installation. And nice people to deal with.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

Confused or not, I'll take the adapted kit anyday! Just for plain looks, and honestly, I don't give a rat's anything about genuine Harley products! I'll pay more for something that isn't genuine ChinaHarley!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Cruise Buddy
http://www.mcgcustom.com/
Simple, easy to instal, inexpensive and works great.....have it on my Fatboy....i wanted to stay away from screwing with the electronics. The wife and i are not into hiway riding to much ...we have the time to travel mostly back roads and we don't use the cruise control to much. We also have cruise on our ultra classic and even on the hiway i use it rarely...

Life is Great...We all Ride!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/9C61886A44EF4A25BE2857D6833239D0.jpg[/IMG]