Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would ride better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which would ride better?

I've been thinkin' about changin' the front end on my bike. I've always been a fan of Springers, so I was thinkin' about goin' that route. I've also been thinkin' about the AME Chopper Kit with another 14* of rake and 8" over tubes because I like the old school 60's/70's chopper look. Obviously, the rake will decrease the handling of the bike. I'm wondering if the rake would decrease the comfort in any way. Would the springer front end or the raked front end be more comfortable for a nice long ride?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Which would ride better?

I like the idea of a springer front end, but I would not go the route of a rake change.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: Luxe

I like the idea of a springer front end, but I would not go the route of a rake change.
The rake change would not involve any cutting on the frame. It's a kit that is installed through the steering column and comes with new trees. It's DOT approved and keeps the rake and trail in the right ratio. Just wanted to clarify that if that's why you wouldn't do the rake change.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't speak to the rake change but I have a Deuce and an FX Springer so I can provide side by side comparison to the front ends.

I don't personally notice any significant difference in handling or cushioning. The only difference I feel, and admitedly is painfully obvious, is in the braking. The OEM HD Springer front end has a single piston caliper. The Springer front braking is significantly inferior to standard tubed fork brakes. It's manageable - you aren't going to sail through intersections because you can't stop. It's just something to consider when looking at the swap.

If you go with an HD Springer front end and you want to retain braking ability comparable to what you have now, I suggest looking at adding a floating rotor and possibly an aftermarket brake caliper. There are a few options out there that allow you to go to a multi-piston caliper that will not require a master cylinder swap. The HD floating rotors perform as well as some of the aftermarket brands with the added benefit of being significantly less expensive. Plus, the HD rotors do not require you to change calipers or pads. Some of the other variations require one, the other, or both.

If you go aftermarket, you'll have to make those decisions anyway.

Only requirement any way you go is to post big pics when its all done.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

Thanks, bensonjv! I never thought about the braking difference.

I gotta convince the Mrs to let me spend the money, but I'll get it done eventually. If I go with the raked setup, I'm gonna have the new trees and hardware powdercoated black and keep my black lowers. So it would look like it does now, but with longer tubes and that front tire stickin' out quite a bit further. If I go with the Springer front end, I was thinking about powdercoating the front part of it including the headlight and leaving the back part of it chrome. Or doing the back part of it black and leaving the front all chrome and having the bars powdercoated also. I would definitely get some pictures up after I had it done.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Springer, I havent ridden a traditional front end in a long time but i have no problem w/ the braking on my springer. I LOVEE the way it handles & the turning radius is super tight, my MSF instructors bet me i couldnt do a Uturn in a 16 ft box, that was an easy $50 & they were astounded! LOL

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Nails
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Can't speak to the rake change but I have a Deuce and an FX Springer so I can provide side by side comparison to the front ends.

I don't personally notice any significant difference in handling or cushioning. The only difference I feel, and admitedly is painfully obvious, is in the braking. The OEM HD Springer front end has a single piston caliper. The Springer front braking is significantly inferior to standard tubed fork brakes. It's manageable - you aren't going to sail through intersections because you can't stop. It's just something to consider when looking at the swap.

If you go with an HD Springer front end and you want to retain braking ability comparable to what you have now, I suggest looking at adding a floating rotor and possibly an aftermarket brake caliper. There are a few options out there that allow you to go to a multi-piston caliper that will not require a master cylinder swap. The HD floating rotors perform as well as some of the aftermarket brands with the added benefit of being significantly less expensive. Plus, the HD rotors do not require you to change calipers or pads. Some of the other variations require one, the other, or both.

If you go aftermarket, you'll have to make those decisions anyway.

Only requirement any way you go is to post big pics when its all done.
HHI makes a 4 piston caliper for the springers...problem solved!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
renoa18
Tourer

The only thing is the frontheadlight bounces a little on the springer and not on the standard front end

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

I like the look of springers, but have never ridden one, so can't comment on the performance. But to give you the obligatory bad time, you outta change the seat on that custom! Looks kinda like a big slug. (kiddin, you have a good looking ride)

Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Live2Ride

I've been thinkin' about changin' the front end on my bike. I've always been a fan of Springers, so I was thinkin' about goin' that route. I've also been thinkin' about the AME Chopper Kit with another 14* of rake and 8" over tubes because I like the old school 60's/70's chopper look. Obviously, the rake will decrease the handling of the bike. I'm wondering if the rake would decrease the comfort in any way. Would the springer front end or the raked front end be more comfortable for a nice long ride?
Go with a MOCO FX Spinger front end. (IMO)

Quick Reply: Which would ride better?