Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler for Fat Boy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Oil Cooler for Fat Boy??

Interesting indeed, owning a Custom I would not have thought of how an FL front end and fat tire would affectair flow and big tires either.
But on the other hand I'm a firm believer that when it comes to air cooled engines ANY extra cooling, no matter how slight isa good thing.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have felt the heat on my 07 fatty. So now with new cams, and going with Amsoil I hope to have lower heat off the engine.
Cheers.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people get 100k out of V-twins without an oil cooler. Just keep the oil clean.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

I laugh at myself each time I think I can out-engineer the MoCo.
If this aint the truth Poorboy.

I work for GM and do a ton of Hi Perf stuff. You cant believe the number of folks that think they can design a better product or system than the engineers.
First thing they want to do is take one of our engines and change the camshaft. GM and the MOCO both spend a ton of time and money on R&D. If there was something that works better, they would incorporate it into the design.
MikeM

Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jhdholcomb

Thanks for the feedback. Since Harley sells them I figured the engineeers must have so same so in the products. I think I will save the money for now and see how it goes this summer. I had just been doing some reading about using an oil cooler to drop the heat down which in theory should prolong the life of the engine. I want to keep this bike for a long time and just looking at ways to minimize future problems. I also wonder why there are so damn many after market parts that are supposed to improve Big Twins - from exhaust systems to air intakes. Why don't the HD engineers just put these on stock bikes? Rhetorical question I guess since you can buy a screaming eagle for big bucks.
I totally understand the oddesy, but one of the main things that the MoCo deals with is satisfying the EPA. LEAN engines mean heat. Third party folks are notsurpressed the same way as a manufacturer, so yea, lots of things show up on the aftermarket.

I'm with deadman77, I don't have the manhours or technical ability to re-design. Cooler IS better, and is common sense. If you proceed to Stage 1 mods and pour in synthetics I think you'll be very happy with the resultant heat reduction. It made a BIG difference for me. Even SE models get "restricted" to pass EPA. The SE models really come to life as soon as the buyer loses the stock slip-ons.

Hey themensh!...... I hear ya about Rossmeyers! They have some tough sales tactics down there and always seem to be able to take $14 worth of chrome fasteners and then alter the price of the bikes by $5k. They get a lot of impulse buyers there, and a lot of first-timers. (both sets of folks are O.K., it is ashame how bad they get taken though).

[sm=deal.gif]

Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
VBFTuc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 FatBoy. Put a cooler on last June. According to the dipstick temp gauge it dropped oil temps approx. 10-15 degrees during the hottest months here in Tucson. True,it's not really cooling at a lite but how long are you stopped there? 1-2 mins.? Guess it might just depend on where you live and what is hot. After 21 yrs. here,when it gets under 70, I'm starting to get cold.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

do we want to cool the engine or the oil?
I understand the oil helps cool the engine...as well
as lubricate it.
But the cooling fins are on the cylinders.......the oil lubricates.
Synthetic oil has better heat properties than regular ol'oil.
I think using synthetic oil helps lubricate and to cool the
engine you need air flow.
I have sat and rode traffic light-to-traffic light.......Florida summers (hot-humid)
and never had my engine over heat....or even PING for that matter.
Like I said earlier......check out the harleys next time you go to a bike night or
you are just out and see a harley. Check if it has an oil cooler. Most don't (mine
came from the factory with out one.)

chuck

Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM
mark00thomas@gmail.com
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the posts. I am working on my bike and was wondering, since it is down right now, if I should instal an oil cooler. San Antonio is hot as hell and nearly 300 days a year of riding weather. I ride it hard in all condition almost everyday of the year. Who couldn't benefit from regulating the oil temp? I think my first step will be to get a oil temp gauge as a replacement for my oil bag cap.

It has a 80" HD Evo motor on a 2008 Sucker Punch Sally frame.

2008 Sucker Punch Sally

Last edited by mark00thomas@gmail.com; 01-03-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Save the money in use a good oil.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The HD oil cooler is useless... I had one.. it did not help in cooling at all.. I replaced it with the UltraCool kit.. my bike stays cooler and it helps a lot in the hot South Florida summers.. http://www.ultracoolfl.com/

I highly recommend the oil cooler if you live in an area with hot weather, like South Florida... some guys in this thread say that their bikes run fine in hot weather.. mine gets unbearably hot in stop and go traffic.. my bike benefits from the oil cooler.. just my 2 rusted cents...

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler for Fat Boy??