Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel/toe shifter - is there a spring somewhere along the linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heel/toe shifter - is there a spring somewhere along the linkage?

my shifter won't "spring" back after shifting down or up. cannot see a spring so not sure how to tackle problem.can anybody quickly advise . tia

Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: heel/toe shifter - is there a spring somewhere along the linkage?

Bad news..... the spring action is internal.. Transmission! Do you have a 6 speed?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 PM
grzly
Road Master

that is news I didn't want to hear - I have the 6 speed - any further thoughts ? before the tools come out.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not unusual for the shifter pivot bolt to get screwed up from road grime and sometimes rust.
First thing you should do it disconnect the sift linkage and see if the heel/toe shifter is very stiff. It should be easy to move by hand with very little resistance. If its not, you found the problem, and if your lucky a little bit of Break-Free or WD-40 sprayed into the bolt joint will loosen it up for you.

If not pull the bolt out and use something to clean out the hole and bolt shaft. I used an old rifle bore brush once and it worked real well stuck in a drill. For the bolt I put it in the drill and used one of those green pot scrubber pads and a little oil. Cleans thing up real good and fast.
Put it all back together with some anti-sieze or silicone grease inside and you should be back in business.

If its not that you may have a pair of screwed up ends on the shift rod. Clean and lube them, or just replace the thing with a good one that has heim joints on the end and that will take care of it.

Last thing you are going to want to find out is that the tranny itself is screwed up. cause that's not a regular garage fix and I don't recomend you even try to fool with it unless you know EXACTLY what your doing in there.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

several threads on this.

Lube the shifter arm pivot.

Dealer took mine off, cleaned and regreased it, and I haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
grzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Its not unusual for the shifter pivot bolt to get screwed up from road grime and sometimes rust.
First thing you should do it disconnect the sift linkage and see if the heel/toe shifter is very stiff. It should be easy to move by hand with very little resistance. If its not, you found the problem, and if your lucky a little bit of Break-Free or WD-40 sprayed into the bolt joint will loosen it up for you.

If not pull the bolt out and use something to clean out the hole and bolt shaft. I used an old rifle bore brush once and it worked real well stuck in a drill. For the bolt I put it in the drill and used one of those green pot scrubber pads and a little oil. Cleans thing up real good and fast.
Put it all back together with some anti-sieze or silicone grease inside and you should be back in business.

If its not that you may have a pair of screwed up ends on the shift rod. Clean and lube them, or just replace the thing with a good one that has heim joints on the end and that will take care of it.

Last thing you are going to want to find out is that the tranny itself is screwed up. cause that's not a regular garage fix and I don't recomend you even try to fool with it unless you know EXACTLY what your doing in there.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.
thanks Citoriplus and Yosemite. about to tackle the job now as described. Spoke to the dealer and they are available tomorrow am to look at ( if I cannot fix now ) . Long weekend here in Australia and had at least 1000 k's of riding planned ...... i hope that what you guys described is the solution. i reckon it must be grit or something. I cleaned the bike last Sunday, used the high pressure gurney , took it for a brief ride afterwards but it has sat for the last 5/6 days ... maybe that has caused it to lose its "spring" Anyway will work on and post the result. cheers and thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
grzly
Road Master

you guys are on the money . unhooked the link arm - plenty of "spring" in that so it is the pivot bolt. now I just have to undo those damn allen bolts and get toit ... but that will easy. many thanks .

Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear its one of the "normal" problems that's easy to fix.

Next time leave the high pressure washer to the truckers. Using one of them on your bike is NOT a really good idea. It can force waterpast seals, into bearings and electrical connections.Allthe places that you really don't want water to get into.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 AM
grzly
Road Master

Cit - ok I hear ya - I will give the gurney a miss. cheers

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious.

Quick Reply: heel/toe shifter - is there a spring somewhere along the linkage?