Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's got a jockey shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
barhpr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's got a jockey shift?

Dont know why.. I get these ideas in my head.. must be the combination of the cold weather, and the lack of riding latley. I have this idiot idea of installing a jockey shift now.. hopefully it'll pass. Who's had one, or rode one? Am I a complete idiot, or is it just me? I get these ideas in my head, and there they stay..So far, I wanna have the dual fishtails & a air ride system installed when it warms up..Just dont know if I like the idea of a foot clutch.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 PM
G5jive
Cruiser
Default RE: Who's got a jockey shift?

Yeah, you are insane alright- in a good way. Suicide's where its at, holmes. Definitely cuts down on douchebags asking to take your bike for a spin.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
FXSTBO8
Intermediate

Don't do the foot clutch.....use the hand lever clutch that is attached to the jockey shift so you can always have both feet on the ground at a stop....I've seen this in tons of mags and also the guys at OCC did a bike with the jockey shift and had the clutch on the shifter as a hand clutch....take the plunge, it'll be cool, you're not an idiot.....

Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
G5jive
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FXSTBO8

Don't do the foot clutch.....use the hand lever clutch that is attached to the jockey shift so you can always have both feet on the ground at a stop....I've seen this in tons of mags and also the guys at OCC did a bike with the jockey shift and had the clutch on the shifter as a hand clutch....take the plunge, it'll be cool, you're not an idiot.....
Am I to assume that you are implying that I'M an idiot? You're the one watching Orange County Choppers. I rest my case.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
FXSTBO8
Intermediate

G5.....barhpr....said he had a idiot idea about doing a jockey shift.....I was replying to him, that I think it's a cool idea.....read the whole post before you imply anything.....

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my riding buddies has an '01 Springer with Apes, a jockey shift, and foot clutch.....It's a bitchin scoot. He said learning to ride with a foot clutch took some getting used to. I think it looks really good, and he loves it.....Not MY style, but hey, I'm not the one paying for it.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
cultfreak
Intermediate

if I can ride with a foot clutch anyone can. the clutch on the shifter is lame IMO.
just practice throwing it in nuetral before you stop.

half the look is cleaning clutter of the bike. why move the clutter from the bars to the side of the bike?
I would say lower the crap out of the rear end, suicide shift it and throw down some miles.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
G5jive
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FXSTBO8

G5.....barhpr....said he had a idiot idea about doing a jockey shift.....I was replying to him, that I think it's a cool idea.....read the whole post before you imply anything.....
I did read it- I was the first to respond ad he didn't ask about a hand lever set up. Do you know anything about riding a bike with a foot clutch? You seem to be giving advice to a matter in which you have no experience. If you catch neutral well before you stop, you end up with both feet down. You always stay in neutral until you are absolutely ready to roll. With a front brake, it ain't no big deal. Yes, it requires planning ahead when you ride and a higher degree of balance and dexterity, but the risk is no more than with a hand clutch if you know what you are doing. I could easily retort that the hand lever fake suicide shifter idea leaves one hand off of the bars. I'm not trolling for a war, I'm just asking if you really have experience to back up your input?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay I reread the original post and barhpr asked “Who's had one, or rode one?”
I’ve done neither, so I’m retracting my comment.

I didn’t realize I had to have one to make a comment.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
G5jive
Cruiser

Read the above post. And then put training wheel back on.

Quick Reply: Who's got a jockey shift?