Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
TNwilliams
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG question

On a full tank, seems like the fuel gauge went from Full toa little less than1/4 tank with about 100 miles on the tripometer. Doesn't sound too right to me - I should get 150 - 175 miles/tank. I've got V&H Big Radius with the Power Commander - could this need to be re-tuned? Still breaking in the bike with just under 200 miles on it. Any suggestions?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MPG question

Never, Never, Never

Trust your fuel gage.

Use the tripmeter

Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
DCS
Advanced

The stock HD fuel gauges I believe are not the most accurate devices known to man. Sometimes they read a little off and the needle moves around if not totaly full. I know mine has read 1/4 tank full B4, should be only 1.25 gallons in it with a 5 gallon tank and could putjust under3 gallons back into it indicating the fuel gauge is not 100 percent accurate. I would not worry about it unless the red warning light comes on for low fuel, about 1 gallon left and I have found this to be fairly accurate.

I have a 07 FLSTC 96ci and the best I have ever done was 204 miles on 4 1/2 gallons running non stop65-75 mph on the interstate, when I filled up I was able to get 4 1/2 gallons back into it, only 1/2 gallon left and the last time I would ever run that close again.Thats with the 96ci, SE Air Cleaner, Vance&Hinse BSS, SE Race Tuner.

Later,
Dan

Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Barnettbill
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually fill up at 140 miles +- 10 miles. With that I put between 3.5 and 4 gallons in the 5 gallon tank. I figure that gives me about a 40 miles worth of wiggle room.
Ride safe.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My 2000 fatboy gas gauge shows a half tank after about 80 miles.
I use my tip-o-meter.
I reset it everytime I fuel......and I re-fuel when it reads about 145
miles. (5 gallons times 40MPG miles equals 200 miles........but sometimes
I don't do so good. LOL)
A new gauge may fix our problem.....but the trip-o-meter is cheaper
for now.

Chuck

Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,882 Likes on 21,305 Posts

I get around 32-36 mpg with my 99 evo, but I have it fairly hopped up and get on it frequently, so I'm fillin' up at 125 on the tripmeter.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hi all-

i figure the stock bike ought to get the best figure for mpg, and after mods such as pipes /AC /sert and what not; its more air and more fuel to make more HP- that is my thinking.
With that said, I got about 117 miles to a half tank and usually got gas then just to stand and get off the bike for a bit. Now after cams and D&D I will not expect to get 115 to a half tank, but if I do that's fine with me.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Instructions for using the Harley tank guage.

Fill up. The guage is pretty reliable when the tank is full.

Ride out. The guage will stay on full for awhile, at least an hour or more, indicating you are not going to need to stop until at least the next station, 72 miles down the road, because, hey, you're guage says full up.

As the exit disappears in your rear view mirror, you will then begin to notice some activity. This activity is visible, and the guage will readily indicate that you are no longer full.

Only 68 more miles to go, and already you're down to half a tank. But half a tank is 2.5 gallons, right?. So, you'll be fine.

Then at only 40 or so miles away, your guage will be decidedly in the red. Now, you're cursing yourself for not stopping. Then, almost at 20 miles, the almost too far to make it yellow light comes on. Now is the time to panic. Draft yourself behind the mail truck. Look for people you think will be willing to stop and help you. Don't trust them.

Coast down the exit way, and pull into the station. Be surprised when it only takes 4.6 gallons. Force some extra in. Cap off, turn the key, and watch the guage climb back up to the full mark. Watch the yellow light go out. Repeat.

And remember, if Harleys were supposed to come with a real gas gauge, they wouldn't have made one out of spare gas cap parts.

Stretch

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BEST gas gauge in the world ...

(1) Take the cap off.
(2) Stand the bike up.
(3) Put ear close to tank opening.
(4) Wiggle the bike from side to side.
(5) If it sloshes then ride some more.
(6) Repeat.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
T_Rob666
Banned

ORIGINAL: TNwilliams

On a full tank, seems like the fuel gauge went from Full toa little less than1/4 tank with about 100 miles on the tripometer. Doesn't sound too right to me - I should get 150 - 175 miles/tank. I've got V&H Big Radius with the Power Commander - could this need to be re-tuned? Still breaking in the bike with just under 200 miles on it. Any suggestions?
Where did you get your mapping for the PC from? Fuel Moto?

Quick Reply: MPG question