Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm still learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
cspcrx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm still learning

So i just figured out that the Custom and Deuce have a different headlight shell. That explains why they look better! My question is can take one and do a direct install onto my FXST? Per my 2007 shop manual it looks like the wiring is different. I know I would need the shell and mount but it doesnt look like it will plug right in. I want to change mine and I can pick up one of these for a lot less then a custom unit and just add a bezel. Anyone done this?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: I'm still learning

According to my 07 parts manual the headlights are different, however the plugs have the samepart number. So you have to assume that the Deuce headlight will plug right in. You "might" have to move the pins for different connections, but I highly doubt it. Its far more common and cheaper for the MOCO, or any other company for that matter to use a common wiring setup than it is to change itfor different models.
Not sure which bezel your trying to fit to which housing so I can't help you out with that.

BTW when it come to the "still learing" thing, its normal, we're all still learning. Just think of it this way, the day you stop learing is the same one they throw dirt in your face.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Just put a Deuce shell on a 2004 FXST that a buddy hit a deer on, works great. You need a different mount, unless you use the shell from a 1200 XL custom (same shell different mount) And yes the Deuce shell looks way cooler!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

I figured I could use the deuce shell and mount. But what concerned me was the wiring. The shop manual shows one plug on the FXST & FXSTB. But theFXSTD & FXSTC look like they have two extra wire leads coming off of it. No sure if they are grounds or what. SoI washoping someonewho had seen both of them could tell me if it would plug right in or if something more would be required. Again im just going off of the picture in the 2007 softail shop manual.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the lens is the common 5.75" you can also swap them into any 5.75 shell. In my sig I have an after market billet shell, but I used the stock lens assembly and wiring harness. I removed the pins from the connector, pushed the harness through the shell and popped the pins back into the connector........no problem.
BTW my billet shell was $60 from the 'bay.........be patient and deals will come around. My best find so far was for the HD chrome forwards brackets. A dealer was selling them on the 'bay......probably dead inventory.......the catalog has 'em for $299....I paid $114 for them brand new.
Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

Thanks. Torn on spending big bucks for the HD headlight that looks like yours or finding a used deuce or custom and just putting a bezel on it. Thanks for the info guys.