Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Review of your newest Dark Custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick Review of your newest Dark Custom

I got to mess around on a Cross Bones at the dealer today while I was checking on the progressof my ride... (should be ready sometimes next week! And it will even sound like a Harley!)

Anyways...

The Cross Bones:

I really loved the looks of this bike, and it's all about the looks. If you don't like the looks, then it aint for you. I like the Springer, I like the black. I do prefer the feel of a rubber mounted "A" engine, but I think they did it right with the softail, again it's all about looks. Pros: The looks, black and mean. The Springer front end, always been my favorite. Looks better in person than online.

There are a quick list if cons (for me):

The seat looks cool from a distance, up close not so much, also it give the rider a weird looking profile... It's very high, that would be one of the first things to go if I bought it. I'd stick a low profile seat, and I need to be able to take a passenger.

The floor-boards, they have got to go. This bike has very little rake, and stiff suspension, but you can't really ride it hard with those floor-boards... If I were Harley, I stick pegs on. If it were for me, I put on mids and highway pegs.

If it had been out with the other 08s in the fall I would have bought it instead of the FXDL, and would probably still be happy with it. That said, I don't regret getting my Night Rod at all. Hopefully in a few years, when I can afford a second, I can pick up a used Cross Bones.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Quick Review of your newest Dark Custom

Well, here's hoping you don't get one if you're gonna ruin it!.. lol.. I just got mine last Wednesday, and wouldn't change a thing. I am moving the Lic Plate to the axel, but wouldn't do any of the changes that you've suggested. The seat hight makes the ride so comfortable. I love the floorboards. I've drug them about 4 times so far, but I'm not changing them for anything. I love what they've done, and I think they've hit the nail on the head. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon. Been too busy riding it!

BTW, that first line was a funny...

White Guy

Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
DrawDown
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw one at my dealer this last saturday. Looks very good in person. I too wouldnt change a thing. Maybe a few add ons like exhaust , grips, and pegs, and probally a suction cup p-pad for the wifey.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped at my dealer yesterday to look at one and sit on it.

The seat... for me the seat is okay but it does sit you up higher than I expected. Being a tall guy I might have to change it but that would depend on after I lower it. The rear end definitly needs to come down on it.

The fron tire and fender..... I would have to change. I think the bike needs at least an 18 inch on the front. The fender is a new design on the springer so I am not sure what you could do there other than take it off.

Handlebars... for me. It needs apes.

Other than swapping the exhaust out. I almost wish I had waited.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

Kinda wish i would have waited too. I think a set of yaffe x-pipes, some battistini black anodized grips, rear pegs, and brake and shifter arms, some smoke led inserts for the signals, and maybe a set of 18/21 PM Contrast cut gasser wheels would look off the hook. Oh well, maybe after i finish mine and it's paid off.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM
White Guy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DrawDown

Saw one at my dealer this last saturday. Looks very good in person. I too wouldnt change a thing. Maybe a few add ons like exhaust , grips, and pegs, and probally a suction cup p-pad for the wifey.
No need for a suctiion cup pad. Harley has an amazing back seat and padded sissy bar for the bones. Mine is on order. I am relocating the lic plate, and putting some good ol' No. 7 covers on the engine. Besides that, I think she's gonna stay stock for a few years. Then I'll start really tinkering..

WG

Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

Those No.7 covers will fit right in with the theme. A side mount plate would look good too. Post some pics when you get them on.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also think this bike looks even better in person. That said, I'd change some stuff too. I'd swap out both wheels for two 15x7's with 230 rubber and white walls. I'd ditch the front fender and floor boards for forward controls. I'd change the pipes and ceramic coat them either white or black and heat wrap them. Just minor stuff, you know?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
White Guy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DrawDown

Those No.7 covers will fit right in with the theme. A side mount plate would look good too. Post some pics when you get them on.
I will for sure..

WG

Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
mojo76
Cruiser

love my X-bones all I changed were the pipes and lisence plate. maybe down the road i'll change the rear fender