Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cable changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
renegade75
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable changes

How do you change out a stock clutch cable to a stainless cable on an 05 Springer Softail?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
MemphisBiker
Advanced
Default RE: Cable changes

Hey Renegade,

If you don't already have one, I would recommend getting the HD service manual, electrical/ diagnostic manual, and the parts catalog for the year and model of your bike. Got mine off of e-bay still in the plastic for $100 for all three. Although I don't have a springer, I would imagine the process is the same for all softails. The service manual outlines it pretty well and has a couple of illustrations. Plus, you could posthere with problems or questions and use the knowledge and wisdom of the members here.I plan on doing mine when I scrape up enough $$ to change out bars, cables and controls all at once. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Tileman
Advanced
Default RE: Cable changes

I just changed the cables on my 2003 Standard Softail, so I imagine it's the same. Memphis is right. The service manual is like the bible to me. It gives me the confidence to tear stuff apart knowing I can put it back together.Replacing the cable isn't that bad, but you will have to take the cover off the tranny. This means that you will have to drain the fluid out, and take the exhaust off, etc. Word of advice- be careful when tightening your new cable into the tranny housing. I know of a few guys which put too much force on that nut and snapped the cable housing. Remember that thing is hollow when tightening that nut down. I'm not a harley tech, so I don't want to get into too many details, but its not that hard.You will need to remove a large c-clamp, so you might want to get set of c-clamp pliers.I highly recommend finding a servicemanual.