Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Tank

What is the purpose of the oil tank on softails? Is it the obvious, to hold engine oil? How come other models don't have one? Just curious.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil Tank

all harleys have an oil tank (not only softails). The function of the oil tank is to have an amount of oil that goes into the motor and keep it fresh and lubricated. Softail models have the tank under the seat, what makes this more visible than other models. The oil goes into the motor in a circuit by the effect of an oil pump.

Some bikes have the oil in the motor crankcase, as cars do but it depends of the motor design, but all the bikes must have an oil reserve anywhere of the bike.

Regards,

--
Javi

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the explanation. I just kept seeing oil tank stuff for softails and assumed it was something unique for them.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

All Harley's have an external oil tank (that they can put anywhere they like) because they have dry sump oil systems. Except for a very few production and race cars, most other cars and most bikes have wet sump engines where the oil is contained inside the crankcase (oil pan). In the case of Metric bikes the tranny is also in there so it shares the same oil bath. Not sure I will everwarm up to theidea of having clutch crud getting pumped around inside the engine. Even if it has gone through the filter first.
Most Harley's have the tank under the seat. On Softails its rather obvious and made in a horseshoe shape to also hide the battery and electronics. If you look atSporty's and Dyna's theyhave it under the seat as well. On Dyna's itssquare shaped and on one side, with the battery box on the other. The Sporty's tank has a shape that "fits" the bike's shape better, but its still over there on the right side.
Except for the new 1125 that uses a built for Buell Rotax water cooled engine they all use a heavilymodified Sportster engines. So they need a tank too, but they got creative and used that big boxy aluminumrear swing arm assembly, they use thehollow frame is the fuel tank.
As for V-Rods, ya got me, I haven't a clue where they hide the oil tank on them. But the gas tank isn't where you think it is on them. What looks like the fuel tank is actually an air box for the intake and air filter. To fill the tank on one of them you need to lift up the seat to get to the filler. The actual tank itself is a moulded plastic setup that fits in front of the rear tire doing double duty asa splash guard and tank under where the Softail keepsits oil tank.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Jip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems like a joke, and if its not, you really should read your owners manuals. How do you check your oil?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

This has to be a joke.. I also heard softails have a gas tank. Is that for holding gas??

Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what he is asking about is the fact that dyna's dont have the tank.