Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 to 08 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 PM
jtmurph00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 to 08 wheels?

Ok, I know 07 Softails have a 3/4" rear axle and a 25mm front axle. The 08's have 25mm axle's front and rear. So, if I get a 3/4" to 25mm spacer made for my rear axle why couldn't I run a set of wheels for an 08 Softail on my 07?Is there anything besides the axle size from 07 to 08 that is different on the wheels? I asked this question at the stealership andall I got was a flat outNO. I asked the parts and service department and I just kept getting the same "NO 08 WHEELS ARE ONLY FOR 08's NOT 07's". All I wanted was an explanation, are the brakes different or what? They wouldn't or couldn't tell me why [:@].

Doesanyoneouthere know theanswer to my simple question "Other than axle sizes,is there adifference between 07 and 08 wheels?"

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: 07 to 08 wheels?

You would also need to change the bearings in the wheels and that 'may' be why they say it can't be done. Wheels generally come with the bearings installed. So if you want toput the 'wrong' year wheels on your bike you would also need to have the bearings changed as well.
If the bearing outer size is bigger or smaller than the ones on your bike, then they are correct you can't use the wheel unless you can fit that axle size in your forks or swing arm.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been asking my local dealerships the exact same question. No one seems to think it will work (I've proposed the idea of changing the bearings, etc). They just keep telling me that they're not sure, but they don't think it'll work. I brought up this point- Has HD changed the outter diameter of the hole through the wheel? If the hub is the same diameter as '07, I should be able to take a bearing set out of an '07 rear wheel, and insert it into the new one.....Same axle, same bearings, right? They just looked at me with blank faces, and said, "UH, I'm not sure, but I don't think so." I almost felt like they didn't want to sell me the new Reaper rear wheel.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that it seems more than one dealer is telling the same thing, I'm wondering if its some kind of MOCO rule that says if its not specifically stated in the accessories catalog as fitting, don't volunteer.
Now with things like grips, seats, and other bits and pieces who cares. But when it comes to possable safety issues, like wheels, brakes, etc. NEVER volunteer info that's not company approved. Probably some kind of liability issue if that's the case.
I can understand their reluctance given the sue everyone mentality and the way Harley's in general get modified.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM
jtmurph00
Road Captain

I know exactly what you mean Beau, I know the rear axles are different sizes between the two years but the front axles are the EXACTSAME SIZE and use the SAME INSTALLATION KIT. What the hell? I understand the parts guys are only going by what the books say but Iasked the service department also, they couldn't give me a reason either.
Whats almost as bad is Im wanting to change out the 21" front wheel on my Night Train to a 16". They said Im gonna hafta change my forks and some other crap which I know is BS. Ive researched the hell out ofit andseveral people on here have installed 16" wheels from Fat Boys onto their bikes with the only modification being adjusting the spacers.
By coincidence Im considering the reaper wheels also. The parts department did say that it was such a popular selling wheellast year that this year it should available for alot more bikes this year.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
ownasofttail
Road Warrior

Well it can be done the thunderstars i put on mine the front was for 3/4 direct bolt on...and the rear was for a 08 the hub is about 1/2' wider that had to be machined down and the bearings had a 1' hole in center but we found the same bearing with 3/4 they are thinner then the factory bearing that came with my 06 but the same thickness as 08 takes.. it can be done though..

Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
ownasofttail
Road Warrior
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
gquist
Intermediate

Wasn't there something different on the front wheel offset from the 07's to the 08's? also the 08's have a 17" front tire, was the 07's 16" ?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
blackness
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jtmurph00

IIm wanting to change out the 21" front wheel on my Night Train to a 16". They said Im gonna hafta change my forks and some other crap which I know is BS. Ive researched the hell out ofit andseveral people on here have installed 16" wheels from Fat Boys onto their bikes with the only modification being adjusting the spacers.
I'm in the middle of installing an '03 Fatboy front wheel on my '07 Nightrain. I can tell you it is NOT a direct bolt on. The stock 25mm bearingsfrom the 'train wheel will fit the Fatboy wheel (the fatboy originally had 3/4" bearings). The inner spacer will also workonce you bore out the center hole in the fatboy wheel for clearance.I had to buy a 5/16" spacer for the rotor to center the wheel in the forks. My next step is to measure for new outer spacers once I get the wheel back from the machine shop. This has turned out to be MUCH more involved than I had thought.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 07 and 08 have 17in rims. the forks would need changed because they corrected the error on the 08 year. Harley wont say if 08 forks will fit and if the rims are the same and only the spacers need changed. I am wanting to add chrome forks, if i can correct the error at the same time I would. I know the screamin eagle 06 Fatboy has 17in rims.

Quick Reply: 07 to 08 wheels?