Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on a Springer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Rogue13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a Springer

Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to grab a 2005 FXSTS for $14K. Goodies include lotsa chrome, braided cables, and mini apes that are internally wired. Bike has 1600 miles. SS carb, and Sampson pipes. Flawless. I've been looking on Ebay, and have yet to see any bikes that have such low mileage. To me, this is the most classic of all Harleys (IMHO). This a good deal?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Hiflyer
Cruiser
Default RE: Advice on a Springer

That is definitely one good looking bike. The springer is very cool. And its in my favorite color.
I am no expert, but the price sounds pretty good considering the low mileage and the appearance of the bike. It doesn't sound like a steal to me, but seems to be a fair price.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If it wasa private sale I would expect it to be a couple of grand lower, but in a stealer that sounds about normal.
Looks like a nice bike, I doubt it but do you know if they have all the stuff that was taken off or replaced on it? Like the stock carb & pipes?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it sounds like a fair price.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

That sounds fair to me! However the SPRINGER CLASSIC is more "CLASSIC" lol Just sayin

Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it carb or EFI? From the looks and the description, that's a good deal. KBB is $14,8 (for CA)...and that's stock. Factor in what it would cost you to do the bars, move the front signals, add exhaust, the seat, pegs, and other chrome stuff...looks like its been lowered in the rear as well. It also has a spoked rear whell which is more $$$ versus the more common holed cast wheel.

I'd say its very fair. I've done most of those mods to mine and it wasn't cheap.

Snag it immediately. Then, the first thing you want to do is get chrome switch housings and switch caps to fully chrome out the bars.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a good buy. But what about taxes? Could you offer them $14k total out-the -door?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Rogue13
Road Captain

Yes, it's carbed (S&S). No, the take-offS are unavailable. I agree, the price, especially at a dealer, is fair. It is slammed in the back I know how great that looks, but I'm not crazy about loosing lean angle/ground clearance- not to mention I take my daughter for local rides. Two up, and Iwould bottom out for sure. I'm taking it for a test ride tomorrow. Dealer is giving me a 1000 warranty. He'll also remove the lowering kit "free of charge" (insert tongue in cheek).

The only thing I might have to add are front control extensions, and a removable wind screen - ( don't give me ****, I live in NY!).

(yes, the springer classic IS a classic too!)

Thanks for all your input. I'll let you know how the ride goes.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Living in Central Texas and having year around comfortable riding our prices are probably higher. I prefer EFI any more but I love the look of it and it sounds like a really good deal to me. Go get that puppy!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont have the rear lowing kit removed. My Fatty has been lowered front and rear two inches and it needed front controls to keep from dragging the boards all the time, now it is better but the kik stand grinds. My Street glide has the rear lowering kit as a stock part and i almost never grind the boards unless I am going pretty hard into the corners. With forward controls I doubt you would drag hardly ever and the 1" lowerthat the kit gives you really makes a nice difference in center of gravity/handling. Ihave had it on most of my past bikes and consider it an excellent mod. Just my opinion tho.

Quick Reply: Advice on a Springer