Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
jvee1985
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint problems!

I have a 2007 fatboy with the skull train paint tin set recently I noticed a small bubble in the paint on the gas tank. I took it to my local dealer and they contacted the area rep. he is saying that it will not be covered by the warranty because the paint was actually put on the tin set by an outside contractor through H.D. and the set will have to be sent in to them to verify if it is a paint defect. My thought was that the paint had a 2 year warranty I bought the bike through H.D. not the vendor that painted the bike. It is a H.D. paint numberd 51 of 150. So we have decided to have the local dealer to send it to his paint man and have everything repaired on all the tins, it is costing me money to do this on a year old bike. Sorry for the long post but what can I do? Who do I contact to complain? Will it do any good? I just need help I am not very happy with the way this whole thing has been handled.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 PM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Paint problems!

Go back to your stealer's n start telling other customers your problem! Within earshot of a sales person
Oh! n be nice

Old 02-09-2008, 02:55 PM
niczumbo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like b*llsh*t to me!! i would not let the stealer off so easy! complain loudly ,and if that dont work ask for the area hd rep number [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it up directly with HD customer service. Keep it going until you get satisfaction. The fact is HD sold you the paint set and took your money. It is up to them to fix it by taking it up with THEIR supplier. Get the name of the rep that denied your claim before calling into HD.

Mark

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I agree that there should be warranty if it came on the bike from the dealer (or it should have been noted somewhere that the paint was NOT covered as an implication with the original warranty),no paint is impervious to gasoline. The problem is thepaint layers are exposedat the bung. Itake extreme care not to spill gas when I fill, and a small sealant coat of clear fingernail polish where the junction of the paint and the inlet bung meetprotects the paint from gas fumes from the vented cap attacking the paint. Factory paint is baked on, and almost all custom jobs and HD custom jobs are air cured making them more prone to this damage.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Its a PITH, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Bitch till they fix it. You shouldnt have to pay.
MikeM

Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Got a pic of the damage?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

You always have the better business bureau and small claims court. If you choose you can always tell the dealer that youre going to take em to court.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 AM
VenturaChop
Road Master

f that why dont they bake custom jobs they should warranty that man that bubble is just going to keep growing and growing man there is probably contamination under the clear a pic would be great

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
jvee1985
Stage III

Mojo the bubble is about 6" down from my gas cap and the bubble does not apprear to be from gas as much as just thin paint. I did take pictures but due to the bike being black you just can't see the bubble. You guys have given me some good ideas as far as contacting H.D. Head quarters and bitching I guess I wanted somebody else to agree that it was b*llsh*t that they did not back it. So Thanks for all the input I will post some pictures of the bike when they finally fix it! Thanks again for the backup!

Quick Reply: Paint problems!