Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first post after Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts
Default first post after Iraq

Fellows--I nervously drove to HD to pick up my Deluxe. It was in the 60's yesterday and I decided that it if I could ride a crotch rocket---the mechanics had to be the same. Left the truck in the parking lot---the guy did the walk around on my Deluxe--took it outside and everyone followed . Two things---they knew I had never ridden a cruiser of any kind and they had never ordered, put on, or heard quiet baffles in V&H BS Staggreed. Well--I gotta lot of grins and smiles from those people so I guess that deep a@@ rumble I heard sounded good to them too.

Drove off and the rest was history......learned how to use the heel shifter by the time I got to the 5th or 6th stop light...it's a keeper.
Boy does this thing shift smoothly. Came home and decided to see if I could spin this thing around on a dime in my street. Well--I couldn't get it do spin on a dime..but I as I turned it in circles on a "silver dollar"....I realized my nervousness was gone......the concepts are the same whether you're on a crotch rocket or Harley...look where you want to go and it'll go

Neighbor came running outside with his wife......they have a Standard. He said, "man, that thing has a deep rumble"........he started his up with those screaming eagles and he was right.....I have a deeper rumble.

My wife who knows nothing about bikes only knows that some of her co workers have Harleys that sound "bad"-----she said, "I hope yours sounds "bad" and not like a little punk" "I hope it sounds like Dwight's" She came home to give me a ride back to get my truck and she said, "start it up"........she couldn't stop smiling

I'll post pictures soon. I would right now; but I have to first decided which piece of chrome to put on. I have bags full of it
So--once I sort through the bags and have some fun today (since it's gonna rain here in N.C. this weekend) I'll take pics.

God knew I was picking up the bike yesterday; so he post poned the rain for my ride home.
Thanks for listening------

Old 01-21-2006, 08:28 AM
claydbal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first post after Iraq

THANK YOU FOR YUR SERVICE and you are probably right, after what yu have been through, it was a nice day to ride your new bike home because of GOD!

btw, great bike, congrats![sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new bike. Wlecome Home from the "Sand Box". Enjoy the time on your bike and back in freedom.

Geno

Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 AM
nutsy
Tourer

welcome home.thanks for your service and good luck with your new bike.its funny you said you were nervouse,dam, you just come back from iraq,that was the nervouse part.its all downhill now,relax and enjoy life again.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser

Welcome home, what a day huh..enjoy that fabulous new ride...don't let a day go by, does your wife want to ride with? mine does quite a bit....thanks again for your service to our country and a personal thanks for doing for our country what a now can't do because of age and condition. have a great new life ,,,jim

Old 01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story. Enjoy that bike - you deserve it!

Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Home. Enjoy the bike. Where in NC are you stationed? Might need to link up and ride together when I return again.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Pavetack
Cruiser

Good on you! I'll never forget when I picked up mine after returning from the desert.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Glad that you were able to make it home and pick up your new Deluxe, not everybody has been as lucky as you are. I hope that you continure to enjoy your new Deluxe. Enjoy the ride

Old 01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I forgot to add that I am thankfull for what you have done over there and am glad that you had a safe return to your family.

Quick Reply: first post after Iraq