Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Tourpak or Tbag

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Softail Tourpak or Tbag

Wife and I want to do some road trips this summer, maybe 2-300 miles one way.Looking attaking Rt6 to the PA Grand Canyon area. Have thought about going to Americade but may hold off till next year.

Anyway I bought a cruiser not a tour bike so I need a way to carry some gear. Looking at the tour pak with detachable rack, seems it's going to set me back close to $1000. Freaking ridiculous. Does it make that much sense to throw that kind of money into a softail. I'm thinking instead of trying to make a tour bike out of a Heritage, I may as well buy an Ultra. Would've only been about 4k more and you get thecb and all the other goodies with it.

But I'm going to keep the Heritage for a while. Does it make better sensejust to make do witha Tbag and luggage rack. Figure that would "only" be around $400. What say ye.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
renegade75
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Tourpak or Tbag

We have a Springer Softail and use a T-bag when we travel. Roll your clothes tightly to pack them and use zip lock baggies to smash the air out of dirty socks/underwearand zip to take up VERY LITTLE space. We travel two weeks at a time and make do with this bag and the saddle bags plus one more small bag.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did trip with wife last October , boughtthe sissy bar rack , and an after market bag to put on .. like you i couldn't justify the tour pack cost. saved heaps. storage ok. the biggest issue I had was that the Heritage std shocks arenot ideal on lumpy roads to carry me, the missus, 2 full saddlebags , + bag on sissy bar rack. otherwise great setup and you'll enjoy. ride safe grzly

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tbag... It will hold more, costs alot less and is much more usefull.

Chris

Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM
mfelsk
Advanced

I have an 04 Fat Boy with little saddle bags and couldn't fit any more than two coats in them. The wife and I like to take trips and went with the kuryakyn Full Dresser and it has more than enough room for all of our stuff. it also come with a rain guard and alot of straps which is nice.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

What's up with this, you guys are supposed to help me spend alot of money, not save it. I'm definitely talked out of the tourpak. Sorry HD. Thanks guys. On the other hand, one of you who has the nice whitewalls just cost me alot of money since I will have those when mine wear out.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't trade my Train for anything, so another vote for T Bags here...mine is expandable, and has another cylindrical bag inside that can be filled and strapped to the top of the main bag...straps to the detachable backrest & I like being able to pull it off and take it with me at night...and I can get a LOT of stuff in there.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Hmmm.......Didn't cost me anywhere near $1000 for my setup. Put on a luggage rack and bought a tourpak from LeatherPros. It's quick detachable and locks.

http://www.leatherpros.com/website1.htm

Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: IzzoQuazzo

Hmmm.......Didn't cost me anywhere near $1000 for my setup. Put on a luggage rack and bought a tourpak from LeatherPros. It's quick detachable and locks.

http://www.leatherpros.com/website1.htm
I was referring to the HD tourpak which lists for $649 plus you have to buy the detachable rack, etc, etc.

Your tourpak seems to be worth a look at. What luggage rack are you using with it?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

Don't forget the 20% sales! I got a tour-pak and the detachable hardware, but I rarely take the pak off - the extra space comes in handy. Hey somebody has to help you spend some money

Quick Reply: Softail Tourpak or Tbag