Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone w/ diamondback clutch cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
turner8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone w/ diamondback clutch cable?

I went by my dealer last friday to check on progress of the repairs to the Fatboy. (they said on the phone they were "done")
Well not quite.
I looked over the bike and noticed they put on the wrong tin behind the headlight, they put on the smooth one with holes for wiring a lamp bar, which I dont have, instead of the stock one. No big deal, they said they would change it.

But to my question now. Since the cables had to be replaced I had asked them to upgrade to Diamondbacks. Figured it was the perfect time and I just payed the difference in cost. Well the diamondback clutch cable as they have it installed is only from the clutch lever to the adjuster.? Then the stock adjuster and stock (black) cable to the tranny. I was expecting it to replace the entire cable not just to the adjuster. The service manager was there w/ me as I was looking the bike over and he says thats the way the diamondback cable comes, just the top half of the cable. $90 for half a cable?
Since I wasn't picking the bike up then I didn't argue at that point. Thought I would do some research first. I read the description on the HD site as you get the whole cable. Does anyone have one that can confirm either way.
Sorry so long winded.
Thanks
Chad

Diamondback™ Clutch Cable Kit

Designed to complement chrome hand controls, premium Diamondback™ cables feature a micro-fine wire braiding and a tight weave pattern that sets your custom ride apart from all the others. The brilliant silver finish blends perfectly with mirror-chrome handlebars and controls, and feature highly polished chrome fittings for an "all-in-one" look. The crystal clear anti-yellowing Teflon® outer jacket provides superior scuff protection and easy maintenance. Clutch cable kits feature anti-friction inserts and factory pre-lubrication to ensure smooth, long lasting cable operation. The internal cable seal eliminates the possibility of transmission fluid leaks, and the exclusive silicone boot attractively and effectively protects the cable adjuster components from moisture. Kit includes clutch cable, adjuster boot, and any necessary installation hardware.

How to Select the Correct Cable Kit
38810-07

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '07-later FXSTD, FLSTF and FLSTN models.

MSRP US $89.95

Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Anyone w/ diamondback clutch cable?

I ordered a set of the cables for my bike and that's how it is on the one they sent.
Didn't think much of it being that way either, but if that's what they make, that's what they make.
Shoulda went with a set from Barrnett's, but I wanted everything to match and short of replacing EVERYTHING on the bike. Its just a lot easier to get a kind I know I'll be able to add to later without having to worry if it will match or not.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
turner8
Advanced

Citori
Thanks for the reply
Guess thats what I get for "assuming" huh
Good ole MoCo
The service manager wassayin they dont do the lower end of the cable b/c of dirt/debris getting into the cable, but I thought that was what the Teflon® outer jacket was for?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like he has no idea what the hell he's taking about and making things up as he goes along. The outer clear teflon cover is only there to keep the wire braiding from screwing 'other' things up. Braided hose and cables will act like sand paper if its allowed to rub, vibrate, agains't unprotected surfaces. Eventually screwing up whatever its touching and itself. Its also there to keep the braiding from picking up dirt and discoloring over time. The cable itself has both the braiding and a couple of inner layers ofsleeve material (rubber, nylon, and teflon) to keep crap out or away from the cable inside.

In short, the guysnot to be trusted with technical questions.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
VA. fxstd
1st Gear

I have the d-back cable on my 05 deuce and it is full length lever to trans with the black nylon braided cover over the d-back linefrom trans to about the regulator. Part # 56844-05. Now I have a question, when replacing the clutch cable is it common to have to adjust the clutch? Seems like eveything functions properly, except when the clutch is engaged i can't spin the tire? Currently, on the lift, fluid drained and 60 in the garage?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's wierd, and bullshit. If you decide to change, I went with Magnum Chromite SS cables. The clutch cable is one piece from clutch lever to tranny.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
turner8
Advanced

ronyd,
yes sir, not only is it bull, but it looks like sh*t w/ the nice braided cable up top and black oem on the bottom
maybe when I getthe bikehome I can find a full length clutch cable from another source that will match the D-back throttle, idle, and brake ones ok
I'm still not convinced the D-back clutch cable is not supposed to be fully braided w/ clear coating above the adjuster and black-tinted cover below. This based on the harley website. More research required.-> shoulda done this in the beginnin[sm=sigh.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Wow, that's weird...

I got the HD SS braided clutch, throttle/idle cables and front brake line, but not "Diamondback" ones, and the clutch cable is braided all the way to the tranny.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

Same thing here Turner8. Doesnt make sense why they would do that at all.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turner8,

go check out http://www.magnumshielding.com/. Nice stuff and really looks great on my scoot. But before you do anything, I'd be barking real loud at local stealer for doing that to you. No excuse, it obvious by other that replied that they have the clutch cable from lever to tranny, one piece. Complete bullshit.

I guess that's why I do most of this work myself. It's really not that hard. Just get a service manual, pic and choose your parts (don;t always have to be HD parts either, better stuff out there usually) and take your time.

good luck buddy and enjoy your ride anyways....