Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trade for a “Street Glide” or keep my Fat Boy”?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Should I trade for a “Street Glide” or keep my Fat Boy”?

Help me decide to change sides or not.
I asked the Touring guys and as I figured, they all love their Touring bikes. No negitive comments from them, so now let’s hear from the Softail side.
Trade for a “Street Glide” or keep my “Fat Boy”?

About a year and a half ago I decided to get back in the motorcycle business after laying out for 27 years. Iwas new to Harley and found it very confusing on what to buy. I had a friend trying to sell his Dyna Wide Glide because he became deathly ill. So it got me in the mood to jump back into bikes.

1) A car salesman (who he had asked to sell it for him) secretly told me to buy a Softail instead of a Dyna, it would ride much better.

2) I went to my local dealer, told him I didn’t know jack and he pushed the Softails.
I found out later that’s what he drives.

3) I next went to the next Harley dealership down the road, told him I didn’t know jack and he pushed the Touring bikes….and how the ladies love the vibration of them (stupid sales ploy to me, it turned me off the Touring model).
I found out later that’s what he drives.

4) I went to the next Harley dealership down the road, told him I didn’t know jack and he pushed the Softail Deluxe bike (a short punk kid), then I later found out he liked the Deluxe because he was short.

5) I next went to the next Harley dealership down the road, talked to the owner and told him what had happen so far and his basic answer was the Touring bikes are best on the open road, but can be a little overwhelming in town. So I figured, I’m new to Harley and all, I’d better stick with the Softails, I don’t need a bike that is overwhelming and went back to my home dealership………and bought a new ’07 Fat Boy.

[hr]
[/align]What I need from you guys is to tell me if you have heard any complaints about a Touring model.
Do you know any cons about Touring bikes?
I think I’m pretty much decided on the Street Glide,
I’m not all that much interested in all the chrome trim that all the other Touring bikes have.
The Street Glide just looks Bad *** to me.
I’ll be riding primarily 99.9999999% of the time solo.

[hr]
[/align]I'm asking this question, because I did a lot of trial and error with the Fat Boy and don't want to go through all that again.

I put on Harley Hard bags didn't like them switched to detachable leather
I put on 17" wheels, now I like 18" better
I'm on my 3rd seat
I'm on my 3rd set of handlebars

I’m on my 3rd windshield
I've tried Highway bar/Mustache Bar/Mark III pegs,
you get the idea, and that was only one summer.

[size=3

Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Should I trade for a “Street Glide” or keep my Fat Boy”?

I am very happy with my Fat Boy and wouldn't consider trading it. The one thing I had to talk myself into, was putting saddlebags on it.
You said you would have your Fat Boy shocks put on the soft setting. They come from the plant on the soft setting, unless you have already changed the settings. The Street Glide will ride firmer then your Fat Boy, since it is lowered in the rear.
I would say that you will have a Street Guide fairly soon, sounds like that is what you want.
Tom

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode a '08 Street Glide for a couple days a couple weeks ago. I actually thought my Softail was more comfortable. My Softail fit me a lot better. I didn't really notice any gain in ride quality with the Street Glide, like I was expecting. A set of Progressive shocks would definitely give the Softail a big edge over the Street Glide, also. My wife, on the other hand, liked the Street Glide more because the back seat was wider and the backrest was wider. I felt the whole bike was wide and bulky. I also didn't like sitting on top of the bike, rather than in the bike. My dad has a '08 Ultra that I rode this past weekend, and although it's a great bike, I just didn't think it was any more comfortable. I believe the Softails are the versatile Harleys. You can set them up for touring, or you can set them up for around town. You can do anything with them. So in my opinion, you should keep your Softail. If you want it to be more comfortable, send your seat out to have it custom made for you, rather than being an off-the-shelf type seat. Have it made with memory foam and do the same with a rider backrest. That should be really comfy. Put a nice set of Progressive shocks on it, and you'll feel like you just glide over the bumps in the road. With that stuff, plus a windshield and bags, your bike will be every bit as comfortable as a touring bike. The upside is that you could take it all off for around town if you wanted. I'm not recommending the Softail because I ride one. I will one day get me a touring bike also, but it will be in addition to the Softail. I want one for really long trips so my wife will ride with me in comfort. Like I said, I've ridden a couple touring bikes, and I just didn't see any improvement in ride quality. I have nothing against them, though. Keep the Softail.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm too young for a Geezer Glide myself, can't help ya....

Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM
agedwards63
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Live2Ride said on the "wideness of the bike"and sitting "on top of the bike" is all true but you CAN literally ride a touring bike all day long... sorry guys put 700 miles on the Heritage in one day once and was hating life... the SG has the radio and all the gizmo's and the bags are nice (although not as big as you'd think) a few years ago Baggers were for old men now I see them cruising more than choppers I rode a TC88 bagger and have heard the bagger TC96 have alot of engine heat issues so I can't help you there... but that all being said IF I were to trade the Heritage it would be fora Street Glide

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I have been tossing around the same thing as well.
GO bagger or stay with FB...
What I'm trying to do is to hang on to the FB, make it more of a go-fast scoot, and get a bagger too. This way when the old lady wants to go out, it's a no brainer, but when the boys call to tear it up....well, then it's time to fire up that Fat old boy!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

TFB:

I am fortunate enough to have both a Streetglide and a Deluxe. My take is this:

Streetglide -
Awesome to have stereo
Nice comfortable ride
Fairing makes big difference in colder weather
having the hard bags is very convienient

Deluxe -
Sportier feel
sit "in" the seat as appossed to sitting "on" the seat
smoother engine
fun to drive

If I had to chose one, I would be hard pressed to make that choice. When I want to take a longer trip or ride in colder weather, the Streetglide rocks! When I want to go from point "A" to point "B" and just cruise around, I grab the softy.

They both look awesome tricked out. They both are great bikes.

But I have to admit, when I traded my Deuce in for my S/G, I ended up missing it for it's fun, sportier ride. That's why I went out and bought my Deluxe (after I sold my 67 Nova). Now I have the best of both worlds.

Good luck, I wish I could be more help.

The only other option I could suggest is putting a removable fairing like a S/G from one of the many companies that offer them for softails, (and they have stereo's in them). Add a set of removable bags and you will have both worlds in one bike. When you want to bomb around, take the items off (they quick release) and when you need them, put them back on.

-Denis

Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TIPN8R

I have been tossing around the same thing as well.
GO bagger or stay with FB...
What I'm trying to do is to hang on to the FB, make it more of a go-fast scoot, and get a bagger too. This way when the old lady wants to go out, it's a no brainer, but when the boys call to tear it up....well, then it's time to fire up that Fat old boy!
Exactly!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Waltman
Tourer

Texas Fat Boyyou already have a most excellent ride, your Fat Boy is a keeper. If I were you, I'd get the SG then further down the road, I'd make a decision which one has to go. Who knows, you may endup keeping them both. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man-o-man, TFB. You're breaking my heart.

If I was going the SG route, I'd probably open it up to every make of bike out there. To me, a HARLEY is anything but a SG, RG, or Ultra. IMO, anything past a Road King isn't a Harley.

Your Fatboy is beautiful and you have it where you like it, no matter how many times you've changed things out.

If I want music I wear my iPod. The music I enjoy most is coming out right next to me...the exhaust!

Very glead to hear that you are, most of all, enjoying being out there on a motorcycle. There are many ways to improve that enjoyment, and many motorcycles in the offering for that.

I enjoy Harleys, and all that it represents. The good, the bad, etc. Don't matter; I'm on my Harley. To me, some of that goes away with the bigger models. JMHO.

(Has your Doctor checked your meds lately? Do you think there's an imbalance right now? Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee.......How else could you be thinking this way?)

Quick Reply: Should I trade for a “Street Glide” or keep my Fat Boy”?