Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax poll

Yes - I have one. Like the unit overall, and it's good for when you make a modification and you do not want to spend $$ on a retune and dyno time.

Regards,

Mark

Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and it seems to work well. I have PCIII on all my sportbikes and wanted to try something different.
The thing is this thing could be doing anything and without putting it on a dyno to test A/F i just have to trust it is tuned as well as it could be.
Also Thundermax makes many maps but I found they don't make one for everything.
I have a 500 cam and they make maps for the 575.
A stock 96 will be over cam'd with the 575 so I went with the 500.
Thundermax said i could use the 575 map and it will adjust.
It ran rich for sure but I do think it has improved some but I would like to put it on a dyno just to see what it is doing for peace of mind.
Also because these tune for performance to get better gas mileage you will still have to learn to play with some of the settings. Auto tuning doesn't mean it knows exactly what you want it to do. Once you change the map for fuel it will auto tune to those settings.
Overall a good unit. If I had known I was going to go with Headquarters for present and future mods (plan on their big bore kit) I would have went with their DTT which is also a auto tune system...

Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sportncruise

I have one and it seems to work well. I have PCIII on all my sportbikes and wanted to try something different.
The thing is this thing could be doing anything and without putting it on a dyno to test A/F i just have to trust it is tuned as well as it could be.
It ran rich for sure but I do think it has improved some but I would like to put it on a dyno just to see what it is doing for peace of mind.
Also because these tune for performance to get better gas mileage you will still have to learn to play with some of the settings. Auto tuning doesn't mean it knows exactly what you want it to do. Once you change the map for fuel it will auto tune to those settings.
Overall a good unit. If I had known I was going to go with Headquarters for present and future mods (plan on their big bore kit) I would have went with their DTT which is also a auto tune system...
Don't mean to hijack the thread butsince you have both, how does the tm stack up against the PCIII. Would you say it's worth the extra $$. Any issues with the PCIII in different weather/altitudes?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

ORIGINAL: sportncruise

Don't mean to hijack the thread butsince you have both, how does the tm stack up against the PCIII. Would you say it's worth the extra $$. Any issues with the PCIII in different weather/altitudes?
The PCIII for sportbikes is great, the only change most ever make is a air filter and exhaust and with modern 1000's having over 175hp and 70 tq you really don't see a lot of motor work done. Many maps to get you started and many never even do a dyno tune.
Many have the PCIII, while it doesn't self tune for altitude I don't do a lot of altitude changes living in Maryland. Even going to WV etc never had a problem. If you have a concern with altitude it may be worth it to go to a TM. For me that wasn't the factor in my decision, I mostly just wanted to try something different.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser

mine run great

Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a great purchase.