Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taming the beast - pics of a deluxe tied down on a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
bR6tt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taming the beast - pics of a deluxe tied down on a trailer?

A long ways back I posted askingfor tips on how\whereto tie down a Deluxe. I have trailered mine many times long distance (700+ miles) and everytime I have an issue. Iranged from torqueing down lightly from the bars into the chock at different angles from straight down or in front of the bikeand at one timetorqueing it down so much that my fender was touching the regulator cover (obviously too much). In the rear I igo from the top of the swingarmor from the rear pegs and pull back.

I tried straps around the front wheel to the chock and the latest was 2 on the rear wheel pulling in diff directions to lock it in place.

Almost everytime I have had an issue where a strap busts loose, the bike just shifts or losensand it even fell into the wall once. This is in an enclosed trailer dual axlethat sits low to the ground so the ride should be pretty decent.

I cantseem to see any other way upfront except the bars which Idon't like.Since we tie down 6 other bikes on every trip and this one is consistently the one that has problems, maybe it really doesn't want to be tamed!

Any pics of others would be helpful. I considered one of those frame lockdown mechanisms for the daytona trip, but have some other chrome that Iwant and have an easier time justifyingbefore I make that purchase.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Taming the beast - pics of a deluxe tied down on a trailer?

what type straps are you using? try these.
http://www.powertye.com/

Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front wheel in chock, two straps on bars with slight compression and two in the back attached to swing arm. No sweat, no problem. Get the highest capacity straps you can find.
Marsh

Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
T Rat
Tourer

Ride it!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

trailers are for bitches.. it stays up better if you ride it.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

Here's my bike on a trailer, trailered it over 800 miles with no issues. I used 1000lb rated MC ratcheting straps and tied them up to my risers, the rear tire was also strapped down with a lashing type strap.

DISCLAIMER:
For those that are going to give me flack for trailering my bike 800 miles, all I got to say is F. off in advance and move on to another post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15551/72A37073E97E46FBB128DF9E44521BFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07deluxe

Here's my bike on a trailer, trailered it over 800 miles with no issues. I used 1000lb rated MC ratcheting straps and tied them up to my risers, the rear tire was also strapped down with a lashing type strap.

DISCLAIMER:
For those that are going to give me flack for trailering my bike 800 miles, all I got to say is F. off in advance and move on to another post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15551/72A37073E97E46FBB128DF9E44521BFA.jpg[/IMG]
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one weary of the "I'm too cool and bad azz, anti-tailer snobs". Jeez. Get a life, and go pick on some body your own age.
Marsh

Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM
serge627
Road Master

Yeah, what they said!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
stevek
Intermediate

I've gotta admit, I trailer, too. When my neighber and I bought an enclosed trailer wegot for the simple reason that if we wanted to travel with the wives we had to make sure they were comfortable on the way so they'ed ride when we got to where we were going.You can't expect your wife to ride 900 miles or more on the back of a bike and be happy when she gets there. Anyway, we have always had a problem with one of the bikes wanting to wander over to the left. Last trip ( to Yellowstone) I finally just ran a tie down trough the rear wheel and wrapped it around the rim and tire and it worked all the way to yellowstone, about 1400 miles.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone man enuff to ride there bike from IN, TO FL. have at it... i have over a foot of snow. roads are a sheet of ice. trailer works for me! hell you southern foke stay home when it frosts out!!

Quick Reply: Taming the beast - pics of a deluxe tied down on a trailer?