Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner to Solo seat

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
OldNewHogger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner to Solo seat

I have 2006 Fatboy, sundowner seat, have made sissy bar detachable (thanks mopardave) and want to go with a solo seat.

Two questions: (1) anyone found a solo seat that is really nice on the FatBoy, I don't have the original Fat Boy seat, but could get one easy enough, is that a good option, the stock seat minus the passenger pillion? I'm 58 yrs old, 250#and like a comfortable seat........the sundowner does that very well.

...and question #2, there is this plastic stuck on gasket looking clear thing on back fender, I assume there to protect that gorgeous paint from passenger seat. When I go solo, that looks awful. Can I just take it off, but then does someone have a replacement option that they've found works? Like some soft leather laid over fender and back to the screw hole before putting sundowner back on or something. I want to protect that paint, but I want to show it off when I go solo.

Thanks for whatever any of you folks can offer.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser
Default RE: Sundowner to Solo seat

Hi I ride solo 80% of the time. I have a 2003 Fatboy. From new I installed a quick release rear seat. I then ran a hairdryer over the plastic gasket that sits on the top of the rear guardand removed it. I applied a liberal amount of the 3m polishI use and hand buffed it to a hard mirror type shine. When touring or riding with her indoors I apply a small amount of polish over the rear guard and let it dry. I then lay a pre-cut proper leather chamois, shaped to match the bottom of the seat,on top of the polish, then reattach the rear seat. When I remove the rear seat I apply a small amount of polish and gently wipe over the dried streaks. It falls off and then a quick hand buff brings it back to original. I rinse the chamois in cold water and let dry between 2 pieces of glass and it is ready for the next 2 up ride. I have done this with my last 2 bikes and the top of the guards on each oneis perfect. I am sure you could do this with a one peice seat as well.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 AM
OldNewHogger
2nd Gear

Thanks, Jeff. Australia, wow, awesome. 9,000 miles away..........WA, USA

Hey is your quick release seat Harley? Maybe that's a way for me to go, then instead of taking entire seat off, just passenger pillion.........I assume the passenger pillion is the quick release part? Mind telling me what seat (seats) you ride?

Anyway, you have helped, so ignore me bugging you....some reward for your efforts, eh?

Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

I thought you had a Sundowner seat. Isn't that one piece? Yes the original 2 piece seat was split and the rear pillion had the quick release hardware fitted for a 5 second removal. The standard Fatboy seat is not the best as there is very little support behind you. Harley, and others make a solo seat only with better back support, but I liked the flow of the original. If your Sundowner is 2 piece and you can make the pillion quick release it is a very simple process to make it solo. I would advise that when you unscrew the rear chrome screwplace something around the edge of the screw. I now use a HD part that does not require a screwdriver, but when I did use a screwdriver I cut a small u shape into an old PC mouse pad, pushed that on top of the guard up to the seat with the head of the screw above the mouse pad, and then unscrewed it. A slip with the screwdriver along the top of the guard is not a good look. Does make the whole Fatboy take on a different look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7434/8567A1664A784317837BA46F4B89C38D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7434/A3817F4AECD2472BA3EE8E0D1502D7A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
OldNewHogger
2nd Gear

Yes, I have the Sundowner, yes it is one piece........including passenger seat. It's nice and deep and pretty wide (but my butt does get a bit impatient w/o stops about hourly). My interest is in replacing that one piece Sundowner with a two piece, the solo part a top notch cushy "make my rear happy for hours" solo and the passenger seat nice enough to keep her comfortable long term, but quick on off.

Still looking for solution to protection of rear fender with passenger seat on, that disappears when it's off?

I really like the "no screw driver" replacement for that seat attachment screw (if that's what you meant), what part number is that?

Nice looking bike, Jeff.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

Th part number is 51676-97a. The rear guard will be protected if you use the former guides I sent. There is no seat on the world that will cover "numb bum". I use an Airhawk that the distributor is in Whyalla SA. I live in Adelaide and do trips to Melbourne often. With this cushion it eliminates a lot of problems of numbness. Google Airhawk and this accessory really works, well for me it does.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OldNewHogger

Still looking for solution to protection of rear fender with passenger seat on, that disappears when it's off?
I contacted a local company that installs the Clear Bra product, had them install it on my rear fender where the passenger seat rests.Its very hard to even see theClear Bra product and it only cost me $15.00 to have installed.

www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
FBOY
Advanced

I didn't like the stock seat on my Fatboy because it felt like I was sitting on top of the bike and it was too wide at the front. I got the Brawler and I just love it. It sits you lower, good lumbar support, a bit firmer, and narrower at the front. I also got my bike lowered by about an inch and a half, and now my feet are easily planted on the ground at a stop. They also took off the fender plastic and there are no marks.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

@ 250 lbs I'd say you might try to find a used Heritage seat, or try a Mustang Wide Vinatge Solo.