Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to get worried...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Leonc69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to get worried...

Hey guys,
I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience to mine or if there should be cause for concern. I recently took my bike to the local dealer to do the winter mods. One was a new cam (going from a S&S 570 to the Andrews 640 gear drive). The tech told me that when he had the bike on the dyno he heard a noise so he stopped the process. He thought is may be a loose lifter(?) so he was going to to have to investigate before he continued. The problem is the tech had been out with a sore back now for four days and I can't get an answer from anyone else including the service manager as to what is going on with my bike. Could the engine be shot? Is this kind of thing common? He told me he had to bore out the gear casing to fit the new cam in...Could that have been the problem?
I'm just starting to get a little worried because spring is coming soon and I NEED to ride soon or I may go nuts!![sm=scared09.gif]

Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting to get worried...

It's still under warranty and the stealer did the work, so I don't see why it would cost you anything even if the motor did crap out. If it were me and they tried to get me to pay a cent I would pitch a major bitch. This is assuming that something is actually wrong with the motor. It may be nothing at all.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
Default RE: Starting to get worried...

I really doubt that your motor is shot. It's normal to clearance the cam chest for the bigger lobes on high lift cams.Lifters can go bad, and top ends tend to rattle with hot cams. I know a lot of guys with hot rod twin cams. Only one guy, and he ran it really hard for years (it's a '00 or '01), had rods making noise. He still rode it home from Mexico with no problem. My girlfriends Deuce was making noise and it was the rotor behind the compensator sproket loose. $90.00 fix. I'll bet it's something simple.