Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 inch Forward Controls.... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
7aceshigh7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 inch Forward Controls.... Help!

Hi everyone!
I am very intrested in getting a set of 3 inch forward controls for my 07 FXST, but, have not been able to sit on a bikethat hasa set. The whole "touch my bike and I'll kill you" thing has me hesitante to ask someone to sit on there bike if I happen to be out and see someone with a set. I have called my local dealer and they do not have any bikes new or used that have a set on a bike for me to get a feel for them. I am 6'2" and the std. forward controls aren't bad, but, when I am out on a long ride I usually end up streching my leg / legs outs over top of the pegs. - What can I do? any suggestions? Is anyone in the Frederick / Hagerstown Maryland area willing to let me sit on there bike that has a set of extended controls? ( don't kill me please all I want to do is get a feel for how far the pegs are.. ).

Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 3 inch Forward Controls.... Help!

Do a forum search on the subject, there is lots of info and many folks with various installs.

The Accutronix Forward Controls are very nice, but expensive. I went the engine Guard route with mounted pegs to get an alternate place for my feet. I'm not that tall, so I don't have to fold-up too much to ride comfortably.

Here's another link to get you started on some additional info:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2737621/tm.htm

Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

I'm 6' 3" and have an '02 Softail with 3" forward controls. I also have pull back style bars, (6") wiht an 8" rise, 28" wide. I wish I had 4-4.5" forward controls. I'm leggy.

I think the 3" forward controls will work comfrortably for you providing you don't have straight up "T-Bars", in which case you'll feel like you really have to reach for the handlebars, be more uncomfortable to say the least and perhaps even feel dangerous because the frontend tends to feel heavy.

Alot of the comfort factor from the forward controlscomes from the right handlebars to go with them and what you feel comfortable with.

Just wanted to point out that just changing the controls may not solve everything depending how the bike is currently set up.

V1

Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yea, sitting on someone else's bike is always on a case by case basis. If asking to sit on someone's ride is the FIRST thing out of your mouth, you'll probably hear a lot of "see ya laters".

It's all people skills. You'll find someone to share their work and let you size it up if your approach is sincere.

[sm=biker.gif]

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also 6'3" and 3" accutronix forwards is one of the best mods I've done. But Velocity1 is right your bars are the 2nd part of that comfort equation. I added tall drag bars with more pullback.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
7aceshigh7
Cruiser

thanks guys for you input.... I have the standard buckhorn bars, but, am also looking to doing the street slammer drag type bars.Ilike the idea ofthe Arlen Ness kit. any thoughts?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Ness extensions on my bike and they are a necessity as I am 6'4". They are well made and a much better option if you're squeamish about dropping a grand on forwards from Accutronix, as nice as they are. I also added the chromed forwards brackets and billet levers and mine look pretty good now. My bars are Carlini clean sweeps, 7" rise with 7.5" pullback, 31.5 " wide, and they complement the extended forwards well.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM
HFD838
Intermediate

I'm 6' even and i love my 3" controls so they have to work for you. if you are ever in houston stop by you can try them out on y bike...lol

Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the Alren Ness +3 setup. Come over here to Indiana and I'll let you ride it. Seriously, you really can't go wrong. I'm 5'10" and I can't ride w/o them.