Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine noise question

I know these engines are inherently noisy so this is probably nothing but just wanted to ask. Last time I rode my bike I noticed what seemed to be a little extra valve train noise. Now I don't havea windshield so there is lots of wind noise, exhaust noise etc. My bike has 6500 miles on it and I've heard it is not uncommon for the engine noise to change a little as the engine gets more miles.

My question is,is thissomething tobe concerned about?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise question

I don't think so........I rode yesterday and my engine seemed noisier than usual. I can maybeattribute some to changing out gear oil. I was using Amsoil 90wt gear lube, and recently used HD 20w50 syn3. It shifts better in cool weather with the syn3, but seems tomake the tranny much noisier.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 PM
bullhome
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mojojones

I don't think so........I rode yesterday and my engine seemed noisier than usual. I can maybeattribute some to changing out gear oil. I was using Amsoil 90wt gear lube, and recently used HD 20w50 syn3. It shifts better in cool weather with the syn3, but seems tomake the tranny much noisier.
Mojo,
I was thinking about switching to the heavier AMSOIL from syn 3 for tranny. Why did you switch back to HD SYN3?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I'm running the amsoil in the all three holes, so far so good.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

What would changing out your tranny oil have to do with valve train noise?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Waltman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARG

I know these engines are inherently noisy..... Now I don't havea windshield so there is lots of wind noise, exhaust noise etc.....
My question is,is thissomething tobe concerned about?
Brother just be happy you don't have a windshield. The engine noise bouncing back form the w/s at you is nasty. It is unbearable. I have to wear ear plugs in addition to a half helmet.

60/40 of my riding is freeway (75-80 mph)/street riding, so the w/s is a must in my case.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Brother just be happy you don't have a windshield. The engine noise bouncing back form the w/s at you is nasty. It is unbearable. I have to wear ear plugs in addition to a half helmet.

60/40 of my riding is freeway (75-80 mph)/street riding, so the w/s is a must in my case.
Yeah, I will be the first to admit I am a bit **** over this bike. I also have really good ears so I hear every tick, click and tap. I probably just need to shut up and ride it.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:02 AM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, they are noisy. I told this same story to a guy I know who's worked on them for many years, and he told me " yep it is noisy, and it'll keep right on making the same noises for upwards of 100,000 miles if you take care of it".

Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARG

Yeah, I will be the first to admit I am a bit **** over this bike.&nbsp\\; I also have really good ears so I hear every tick, click and tap.&nbsp\\; I probably just need to shut up and ride it.&nbsp\\;
lol True dat, every day I hear a new noise, one day it's the engine noise , the second I hit a pot hole and I hear a little rattle I come home and take the light assembly a part and inspect every screw, I just need to plug me ears and ride , I hate beeing ****.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its good to know I aint the only one. I just changed out all my fluids the other day. Thought it sounded great ,, felt great and shifted great that night but rode yesterday and my ears just picked it apart.
&nbsp\\;
Maybe I will just relax a little about now that i know its just the way most of us are?

Quick Reply: Engine noise question