Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
ajtaylor812
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Filter

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. Been driving a bike since Sep of 07. Heritage Softail. Oh my gosh! Why didn't I buy one sooner!? Anyway, I searched the forum already but didn't find my answer.

Has anyone found a way to to pull that oil filter off without getting oil dripping down all over the bike? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filter

ORIGINAL: ajtaylor812

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. Been driving a bike since Sep of 07. Heritage Softail. Oh my gosh! Why didn't I buy one sooner!? Anyway, I searched the forum already but didn't find my answer.

Has anyone found a way to to pull that oil filter off without getting oil dripping down all over the bike? Thanks for any help.
I cut a piece of cardboard and lay it under the oil filter. It make it longer, about 10 to 12" long so it clears past the wires and kickstand mount. I loosen the filter first with a wrench, then put the cardboard under it, then spin it off. Most all of the oil runs down the cardboard and drips into a pan below.

If your cardboard is too think, try poster board.

Hope that helps.

-Denis

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
KY23
Tourer

Yes...there are actually two ways. You can either buy a small device made of plastic that fits tight below the filter and catches all the spilled oil and directs it to the side where you can catch it in a pan or bucket. The other way is to use the box your filter came in and make a small channel for the oil to run into.

The plastic device I have was sold by Drag Specialties and costs $10 I think. Its really made my oil changing easier and well worth the cost.

On another note when its time to get the oil filter itself use the K&N filters. Their bypass pressure is much higher than the others and actually filters much more oil without letting it bypass the filter itself.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
dawidmer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinfoil works great as well.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Rooster6
Advanced

File folders work good also and they are thin enough to fit good under the filter.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Lots of good ideas,but keep a can of spray brake clean handy

Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Badger
Intermediate

I tried one of the plastic devices. It was made by Rev Tec. A little to thick and never really fit right. I tried triming it, to make it work. By the time I was finished, there was basically nothing left to it.I had to throw it out. I am sure there are some out there that work, I just didn't get one.

So what I tried was a quart size"milk" container. Cut two sides off and most of the bottom (just left a little lip on the bottom, to catch more drips). Left the top and handle section on. I slip it under the filter and it catches 99% of the oil. The top or spout end funnels the oil and I can direct it into the drain pan. The plastic is thin enough that I can bend it a bit to get it to go anywhere I want it to. I alsosaved the lid. I put it back on the bottle when I hang it up so any residual oil collects in the cap.

Cheap. If I mess it up, I can justmake another one.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Grey Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of those For Rent or For Sale signs work good. Just cut it to fit. I then punch a hole in the end of the filter and another hole on the top of the filter for air. If at all possible do this the night before and let the filter drain. This is a old Indian trick from a old Indian....

Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have atwo litre bottle I cut the bottom and top off and split in half. Glued the halves together so they hang off the end far enough to miss everything. Cheap to make and easy to clean up afterwards.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 AM
ajtaylor812
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the ideas!