Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Short Shots on Crossbones..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with Short Shots on Crossbones..

Hey guys. Just got my Vance and Hines Short Shots on the brown truck. I know I'm going to have to get a tuner and an upgraded air cleaner kit. I want to keep my stock round cover, and I'm not looking for the most performance, just getting the bike to run good with the new pipes. I know I want to stick with Stage 1. I went to the Harley dealer, and they were gonna sell me the bling bling tuner that was about $500. Then the parts guys said, if I don't plan on changing the engine further than exaust, that I could get the lower tuner kit. They are recommending the Harley kit. Says, it is more functional than the Fuel Pak. Givin my situation and what I'm looking to do, what parts would you all suggest? I'm gonna look online before I pay full pop at the dealer. Thanks in advace for all your help. I love this site!!!!

Rob

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Howie21
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with Short Shots on Crossbones..

If your not planning on any motor work in the near future the FuelPak will be fine. You can also look into a PCIII for about $300 and that will be able to stay on the bike with any engine mods. I run a Fuel Pak on my bike and it runs great.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure which tuners you are talking about but I think you mean the SE Race Tuner (SERT) for about $ 500.00 or just the HD Stage 1 download to your ECM for about $ 150.00.

If you plan on not doing more than pipes and an AC you should be fine with the HD Stage 1 down load or something like a V & H Fuel pak ($240.00) or a DFI etc. I have had good luck with the Fuel Pak on a few of our friends bikes, very easy to install and set up , takes a 1/2 hour or less and I think is better than the HD stage 1 down load.

Many people love the Power Commander PClll as it is more tunable than the "fuelers" (Fuelpak, DFI etc)

Bottom line is there are many options, if you are not going with more than pipes and AC you are OK with the basics (down load or fueler) if you want the most out of the bike or are planing more changes down the road go with a tuner that has more expandability like a PClll or Sert

Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend a power commander III.

It cost less than a SERT. Very functional and easy to install. You will have a map available from the PC site to load given your configuration most likely.

He must be talking about doing the harley download??? that's still 150 dollars. If you ever change anything you have to go back in for another download which will be another 150 dollars.

I don't know enough about the fuel pak to comment.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i can recommend the fuel pak, and installation was easy. personlly i am now allways wery of advice from the stealers. better to get the recomendations from the great guys here. and then go with what suits you best. would love to see some pictures when you get them pipes fitted

Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Do I need to buy a complete high flow air cleaner kit, or can I just get a high flow air cleaner, and throw it in?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Ok, I'm convinced on the Fuel Pak. Don't want the download. Now, what air cleaner kit shall I get? Do any come with a black back? Thanks guys.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain

Go to K&N site should be able to get hi flo replacement filter

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
White Guy
Tourer

I just went to HD Dealer, and picked up their stage one kit with Black Backing Plate. So, now just need the Fuel Pak and I'm set. Thanks all for your help. I'll take details pics as soon as it's on. Probably next Monday..

WG

Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
ratatude
Cruiser

WG Can't wait to see how you like it. That is the same setup I am going with. What was the part number of your stage 1 and what did it set you back.

Thanks,
Rat

Quick Reply: Help with Short Shots on Crossbones..