Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HERITAGE--Is it the bike for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
dexterdave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HERITAGE--Is it the bike for me?

After a 35year absence from motorcycles, I bought a Sportster last year('04 1200c).I love it!!...But I'm ready to get my dream bike, and I think the Heritage might be the one. I'd like(and want)a stripped down version(no bags, no windshield) and fat whitewalls, used ('03-'06 or so) and a 6 speed tranny.
My biggest concern is "comfort" (I'm 6'4" 225, 60yrs old)..There's no doubt I can get a nice seat, but what about "leg room"?? I've sat on some bikes with floor boards, and they don't seem too comfy..I saw a Heritage with pegs, would that be better?(seems like you could move your feet at different angles etc)..
I don't ride long distances-but might get into it..Usually ride 30-50miles every other day.
Any input will be helpful ! Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Default RE: HERITAGE--Is it the bike for me?

6 speeds werent standard until 07, On my springer I got the engine guards w/ highway begs & they allow me to stretch out! id do that for sure on your heritage

Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Scrapin
Intermediate

No bags or windshield and fat white wall tires sounds like a Deluxe to me. Check it out. The Heritage Classic has a removable windshield and the bags do come off, but looks a bit wierd without them.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

O.K., I'll play along...... If you want a stripped-down Heritage, what's wrong with checking out a Fatboy then?

Add an engine guard to either bike and get all the stretch-room you need as soon as you add pegs to the outside of the guard.

With a little creativity, floor boards can go away and forward controls can take their place if you don't like the engine guard concept (on either bike).

After a 35 year absense from the "Harley Bug", I know immediately not to get between your mind's eye and a Harley store.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds as if a Heritage is not the bike you need.Look further in the HD line up.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Barron G
2nd Gear

I am 6'4" and felt most comfortable on the Heritage, after renting a few others. The Deluxe seems to have a different seating position that didn't allow that same leg stretch. I am looking to get floorboard extensions which would put my feet and pedal/shifter another 1.5" further forward, but even without them I feel pretty comfortable after a long ride.

Heritage is an '07 and I love it..

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
FGC
Cruiser

i have an 07 heritage and have no complaints at all.i would not switch out floor bds for pegs if you are concerned aboutyour leg comfort get some highway pegs. while you may not like the look of the windshield and bags they are good features to have and both are removable. this is the 1st windshield i have had and had all intentions of removing it once i bought the bike but i have decided to keep it on after i rode w/ it for about 1 week.also the 6 speed did not come out until 07.imo cant go wrong w/ a heritage

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that it makes little sense to buy a heritage and then take off the Heritage look. That's a Deluxe.If you think you're ever going to be doing any road trips why not just go with an Ultra. But keep your sporty foraround town fun.The Ultra would probably fit you better too. Heritage is one of the lowest bikes which a big reason I went with it.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont want the bags or screen maybe a Fatty or a Deluxe is the go.But if you think you will tour a bit then the bags and screen will come in very handy.
Go down to your local HD dealer and check out the range and maybe take a few for a spin.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'4" and I'm on my second Heritage Classic. The first was a 99 with the evo motor. The new one is a 2007 with the six speed trans. There is more room for my legs on the 2007 than there was on the 99. Harley stretched the bike out a bit. It sits quite a bit different from the touring line. More room on the Heritage, but you need to go to the dealer for yourself. I also had about 7 to $8,000 in custom work done on the 99 but if the two bikes were sitting side by side I'd take the stripped 2007. Much more power and much smoother. Better handling and more room. Plus I'm having fun working on making the new one more shiny, more chrome.

Quick Reply: HERITAGE--Is it the bike for me?