Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.E. 16 guage Double Barrel exhaust softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
rockyyy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.E. 16 guage Double Barrel exhaust softail

I have a newset of these pipes on my 2003 nightrainI removed the baffles and while looking at them you will see that thebaffle end that enters the power chamberhas awelded closed (leave this cap alone andwelded on)...now looking down from the exiting end of the baffle you will see another plug inside the bafflle,on a chop saw mark the outside of the baffle where the end of the inside baffle is, you can do this by measuring down (inside) the baffle till your tape touches the cap. Make your mark on the outside of the baffle and cut right through cutting that cap off at the same time, otherwise its frustrating trying to get that cap off.

Put the two pieces back together and weld it together again...you will get the nicest deepest rumble money (cant buy)...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer
Default RE: S.E. 16 guage Double Barrel exhaust softail

Interesting post. Would like to here them. I took the stock baffle out completly and replace it with the V&H quiet baffle. Much improved sound .

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
rockyyy
6th Gear

My 2003 was upgraded to a stroker 103 kit with 258 cams and was moving a fair amount of air, I had a thunderheader on the bike...but it was obnoxiously loud. I went with these knowing they would be quieter but I was surprised how little they flowed. I read lots of post here and some other forums and was ready to do as many have and buy the quiet baffles.

I took the stockers out and figuring I had nothing to lose, why not cut them and see. I was really impressed the volume isjust right, you will still turn heads but not obnoxious at all...but the bass was incredible and they flowedat least triple the air.

Nice too know youhave some back pressure as well as flow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53517/0A08E58CDE164D9EABA7954398342530.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

I know what you mean. When I pulled the baffle out and looked closely it was a wonder any air flowed through it.
So you cut the baffle in half just on the front side of the inner plug and thenwelded them back together. Did you shorten the baffle at all or just basicly remove the inner cap visible from the end where the exhaust comes out ? I think these pipes are pretty good performers. They have a larger crossover than the other V&H pipes. (I am sure you know these SE pipes were made by V&H)

Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of going with the thunder headers, were they too loud before you went with the 103 in.? I have a 2003 Heritage with SE-II's and I might try this instead, just wondering...

Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 AM
rockyyy
6th Gear

I would try it, let us know what you think of the sound, especially if your thinking of buying another pipe...what have you got to lose. I am pretty sure your going to say WOW its an easy mod that costs nothing.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
rockyyy
6th Gear

Yes I cut the baffle in half...making sure I cut through the inner cap, this inner cap was welded in place as well, on the first cut I didnt hit this welded cap and after fighting to get it out I said why dont I just cut it out with the chop saw while I make my cut (on the second baffle) this was much easier.

The baffles are only shorter by the thickness of the chop saw blade...I welded them back together and grinded the welds smooth and slid them back in. You will be amazed at the difference in sound and how the pipes breath...and not obnoxiously loud.

I have had V&H bigshots on another 2002 softail with the quiet baffles and the standard louvered baffles this mod gives you the sound of somewhere between the two, quiter than louvered baffles and maybe a little louder than quiet baffles. I guess if your not happy with the sound of the pipes and are considering buying other baffles why not give this a chance...you've got nothing to lose