Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail custom to heritage swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
slingblade
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail custom to heritage swap?

Hi thanks for letting me join the group I recently bought a softail custom (07) I now wish i would have got a heritage too late I would be way upside down so I am wanting to change the look of the bike to resemble a heritage has anyone done this and do you know the best/cheapest way to do this My shop is right beside a ebay store for harley parts so I can get a great deal on lots of stuff but they are not gonna have everything I need thanks for any help you can give RB

Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: softail custom to heritage swap?

To start with looking at seats, fenders , floor boards , handlebars , front and rear light assembly , wheels , bags , windscreen...... where do you stop ? I gotta ask just how did youget that wrong ? has to be cheaper and easier to trade.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

A friend of mine did something similar to what you are talking about. He bought the shorter, fatter front wheel at a swap meet andpicked up a frenched Fat Boy fender later. He left the bobtail fender on the rear and put some Heritage style bags on it. It doesn't look exactly like a Heritage, but it looks pretty cool. The most noticeable difference is he doesn't have tins on his forks.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

You would have to make beaucoup changes in order to make it fly. WHy not take a look at all of the offerings? Lots you can do, like go to a wider front tire, get some nice saddlebags, trunk bag, maybe a sport windshield. You can do lots with a Softail.

But to make it look like a Heritage? That might be more than trading it would run you. You'd have to get a new front end, tins, floorboards, windshield, bags, swap the rims, and by the time you were done, wow.

Think about it. There are more custom options you have for the softail than any other bike. You can build it out exactly to your own specs, and be totally unique. Make a list of all the things you like and dislike, and see what you can and can't do. That's keeping it real.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
romigula
Advanced

I was in the same situation that you are in. I also thought I wanted a Heritage, but after a friend of mine stopped over with his brand new Street Bob, I knew immediately that I wanted something with a smaller front end, and something that handles the switch-back roads in my area. You can customize that bike in any way you seem fit. If it's the fatter front end you want. That shouldn't be a problem. But if it's the whole package, that would be really costly and foolish. If worse comes to worse, put your bike up for sale and buy that dream bike you're after. Question? Have you ridden a Heritage? It's a totally different ride. Before you drive yourself crazy, take one for a spin. Then get back to me. I think the Custom is a better ride.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Softail Custom because I wanted a Softail Custom.There's no room in my budget for big dollar mistakes.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,349 Likes on 21,382 Posts

I changed my fxstc. Put on a fatboy front fender and 16 inch wheel on the front end.
Really don't care for the that little skinny tire and 21 inch wheel.
Like more rubber hitting the road.
Not that big a deal really.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
slingblade
1st Gear

Thanks for all the input I think lionsm13 is on the same line of what Im looking for I have most of the parts I need already I am lucky enough that I work right beside a ebay store that sells alot of harley take offs and new old stock The real reason I am doing this is my wife wants a bagger and this will be a good compromise!! Thanks Robert

Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yoy can't get exact heritage because of your 200 rear tire, but you could run a fat boy fender. There's nothing wrong with changing your front end, seat, tins, etc. to suit yourself. That's the beauty of the interchangability in the softail line. Then sell your stock parts to regain someof your $$.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

If your wife wants a bagger, buy her one.

What do you want? If you make someone else happy with your bike, no one will be happy.

Sorry if I am being rough, but bikes are pretty personal things and I dont know anyone who really shares one.

JMHO

Mike

Quick Reply: softail custom to heritage swap?