Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short rider has Harley question

Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
71corvette
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short rider has Harley question

Hey All,

My name is Tim.I'm new around here but figured I'd jump in the water and offically make my first post. I've had a street bikefor the past 11 or soyears and have been interested in making the move to a Harley for quite some time. Fora number ofreasons (primarily $$), I just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Well, my GF and I will be taking a vacation to the Caribbean soon and we have the opportunity to take aHarley tour of Aruba.My main concern is that I'm apretty short guy (5'-2" with a 28" inseam) and I'm not sure how I'd manage on the bikes they offer ('08 Softail Deluxe, '08 Heritage Classic, or '08Road King). I've never ridden any of the newer modelsbut some I've ridden in the past have seemed very 'stretched' ergonomicaly. I manage well on my street bike, but that only weighs about 450# wet.

I'm thinking that ofthe availablemodels the Softail Deluxe will be my best bet since it has the lowest seat height. However,I wanted to get the opinion of some Harley Veterans here before taking the plunge (you need to reserve in advance). I don't want to get out there and find myself struggling to touch ground, the shifter, brakes, etc the whole time.

What do you guys think? Will I have too hard a time?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Default RE: Short rider has Harley question

My wife is only 5'3" and she has ridden just about every model Harley makes. The only model you might have a problem with is the Wideglide. It has forward controls that could be difficult to reach. All of the models you mentioned have floor boards, so reaching the controls shouldn't be a problem. The Road King has the highest seat and may feel a little top heavy to you. I suppose the Deluxe would probably be your best option.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM
lilwilly
Intermediate

I am by no means a Veteran, but since I'm 5' 4" I think I can answer your question. I have an 08 Deluxe, and I think the Deluxe will fit you well. You may need to wear boots to have both feet flat on the ground, but the floorboards, shifter, brake, and handlebars are all set up for us shorter folks. I realize you are mainly asking about the Harley tour, but if you go to buy a bike many can be made to fit. You can do this with lowered suspension, different seats and/or handlebars. But the best fit in a stock bike will be the Deluxe. As far as riding, I use to ride sport bikes, and the Deluxe was the easiest and best riding bike I've ever rode. Hope this helps

Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

At 5'6" and shrinking by the day, I think it's safe to say that you'll love a Deluxe.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the deluxe would be the best choice of those 3, you'll love that bike. Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim, maybe you can swing by a harley dealer and hop on a few models and get a feel for them.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 PM
GerryL98
3rd Gear

Head down to your local dealership. All you have to do sit on the bike and straighten it up to get a feel of what fits. I'm 5'4" and I've had my Deluxe for 8 months now with no issues due to my size. My previous Harley was a Low Rider...about the same seat height only a little lighter. I dropped a Road King backing down a sloped driveway. It sits higher and is lot heavier than my Low Rider. When I put my foot down, I had too much lean on the bike and down it went. With a Deluxe, you shouldn't have a problem having the bike straightened up with one foot down for balance.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

One thing to keep in mind is that you can't accurately determine seat height just by looking at the specs. The shape of the seat, placementof the pegs and reach to the bars all come into play. As someone already posted, you really need to actually go and sit on the bikes you're interested in.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

My wife is 5' 3 & 3/4", and she has ridden a 1200 Sportster, the Deluxe, the Fat Bob, the Softail Deluxe (all at Harley ride days), and my Fat Boy. All with no problems, and she has about a 28" inseam. If you're an experienced rider, after the "getting used to it" period, you should be fine on whatever you choose. The Deluxe does have the lowest seat height, but the Fat Boy is only an inch or so higher. (Which I realize can make a difference, depending on your build...) I would highly recommend before you make the jump to buying any specific model, you hit a few Harley ride days, pick out a few you like the look of, and see which one you prefer. Then make your decision. In the end you're the one that'll be making the payments, and living with it for a few years. You have to be sure you're buying the bike that is right for you...not the one we all may think may be right for you. Welcome aboard.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

I am 5'6 and a 29" Inseam. Ride a Fat boy. The Heritage should be perfect for an island tour. Same seat height as the Fatboy and comes with Saddlebags. The bags are huge and will let you and your wife carry stuff with you on your tour.

Best advice above is to sit on a few of the bikes at the Dealership. Let them know that you are renting on your vaction and they should be happy to help you as you are a future sale. If they give you guff then you need a new dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short rider has Harley question