Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big radius vs. hooker suggestions

Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
boyer911
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big radius vs. hooker suggestions

hey fellas,

i've got a xbones coming on friday and i've been trying to decide on what exhaust to put on her. i'm running v&hstraightshots with heat shields on my 06 sporty and they sound perfect. i'm leaning toward staying with v&h with the xbones. i know alot of guys are riding with big radius and i'd be adding to the numbers but i sure like the look. i'm sure black big radius would look awesome on the xbones. i was reading another thread and someone mentioned that hooker troublemakers are just as good and louder. louder is ok with me. i've got great neighbours so far... any comments on the troublemakers vs. big radius. any other suggestions are appreciated. i was also looking at the hooker 2 into 1 but i've never been a fan of 2 into 1 systems... if this comparison has been done before i appologize. can't find any related info in the search area, please forward me to the post...

Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 PM
stinkfist
Intermediate
Default RE: big radius vs. hooker suggestions

I wouldn't say that the troublemakers are louder. Some of the loudest pipes I've ever heard were BR on an 03 Fatboy..... like obnoxious loud. I just put a set of troublemakers (slashcut) on my 07 Fatboy, but I also installed the quiet baffles from Hooker, so I don't really know what they sound like otherwise. As installed they sound pretty cool, Very deep sound, but not overly loud.I was told the dB difference betweentroublemakers with and those without the baffle is only about 5 dB.....not that much difference. But I was also told that the baffle is was gives the deeper rumble, instead of acrackle.

I agree that the BR are a little tired (no offense to those with them), but everybody seems to have 'em.... Don't get me wrong, I thinkBR are badass looking pipe, butit's not the way I'd go if you want something different.

One more thing to consider between the two brands; the BR have a removable heat shield that creates a visible parting line in the pipe, while the troublemakers are one piece creating a smoother appearance throughout the length of the pipe. Some will argue that this isa benefit of the BR, in that it offers a piece that can easily be replaced if ever damaged or blued, wherethe same damage would require complete replacement of the whole pipe ona troublemaker.... a good point, but I like the one-piece look.

Good luck with whatever you choose...... it's not like you can reallygo wrong either way.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 PM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a X-bone also. Not sure what pipes I'll end up with but I'm looking at hookers fourbidens or yaffe skirt blowers.
I think the s/b's would look better but hooker should out perform most other's.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM
boyer911
Advanced

thanks for the input fellas. i like the way skirt blowers look but, will they fit with passenger pegs? if they do, does the passenger get exhaust blasted into their face. my daughter may ride with me occasionally and i'd hate to fume her out??? check out the link below. 2ForTheRoad and JBaker421 were kind enough to photoshop a set of v&h short staggereds. what do you think???

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2807646/tm.htm

Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
jwe226
Intermediate

My step dad has a 2008 softail customwith the br with the standard baffles installed and I have a 1995 softail custom with the troublemakers with the standard baffles installed and there is not much if any difference in loudness between the two. The troublemakers definately seem to have a deeper tone but I am not sure how much of the sound difference between the two is because of the different engines. The main reason I went with the hookers is at the time I was able to get them off of ebay for a little over $200 cheaper than the v&h would have cost me.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

I love my big radius, but i think if i got a cross bones, id go with a set of Yaffe X-pipes. Those pipes on that bike would look f'in sweet

Old 02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think because of the classic styling of the Cross Bones, it should have a classic style exhaust. I would go with a more simple and straight design. That's just my opinion, though.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
boyer911
Advanced

How about this???

[/quote]

Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you should check out V&Hs new black line of Big Radius

Old 01-01-2009, 11:13 AM
2009XBones
Intermediate

Vertigo14, i got the new black big radius pipes and i love them. The short shots are kick *** as well but i like the big radius better. They have to be a bit better considering they are 400$+ more then the short shots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: big radius vs. hooker suggestions