Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this dripping on my front fender???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Crushinator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this dripping on my front fender???

My bike is an '08 Fatboy with 29 miles on it. I bought it in December and have had only one chance to ride it so far. Pretty much daily, I go out in the garage to look it over and just admire the bike. Everything has always looked awesome. Today however, I noticed two drip marks on the back on the front fender. There was a small drip of an oily fluid on the bottom of the steering part of the frame. (Sorry, I don't know all the actual terms for parts yet ) I guess you'd say where the forks and triple tree go into the frame. There's a grease fitting right there. Any idea exactly what it could be? I cleaned it off and it hasn't returned so far. Does anyone else get this? Could it just be grease from the fitting that has liquified? I checked all the brake lines and everything looks fine. All the lines are dry with no drips. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is this dripping on my front fender???

It probably is grease. Maybe somebody at the factory went a little overboard. It will not continue to do that I am sure. You are right to check the brake lines though. That would be a problem you don't want. The only other liquid in that area would be fork oil.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member

congrats on the new baby! just relax n keep n eye on it, dont think its a prob! If it keeps up then off to the dealers you must go!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
eod_punk
Advanced

I had a simular issue with my 07 train,it was just the greese from the neck. The dealer told me that when the engine heats up the heat travels up the frame and warms the greese enough to drip some. It will stop on its own, after the excess drains out. They also said the factory changed greese a few years ago. The newer stuff does it more then the older stuff.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Grease from the neck.My 07 Nighttrain did also.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its just steering-head greese that is pretty standard to drip for a little while. Wipe down the area behind where the fork attaches to the frame and probably find some more greese there.

I think the guys at the factory get heavy-handed with the greese guns during assembly, but that is better than skipping that step.

Congrats and enjoy your ride!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was brake fluid dripping on paint you would probably sound a lot more concerned.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

Yup, grease from the steering neck. My 08 fatboy did it too. Wash it a couple times and it should stop.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
danike
Advanced

Got the same problem. going to take mine apart before spring and put in a better grease.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

Ive had two of those drips. first was the neck grease, it does it when it gets hot you can take a q-tip and clean it out from the bottom of the neck,you will see where its coming from.second and just recently I discovered that the front master cylinder cap was leaking around the gasket. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cap. service manager said it was commen with 07 bikes. dont know about 08 but it cant hurt tocheck around the base of the cap.

Quick Reply: What is this dripping on my front fender???