Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
08Nightrain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing turn signals

I was thinking of removing the turn signals on my nightrain but was curious about the holes that would be left and what to do with the wiring if i should cap it and tuck it away any help would be appreciated

Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: removing turn signals

I assume your talking about the rear as the fronts are attached to the bottom of the mirrors.
The rears plug in to the tailight under the red lens. So they unplug easy enough. Just put some dielectric grease into the open plug and you'll be fine.
As for the hole, see if you can find abolt in the local Home Depot, Lowes, or other hardware store, paint it to match theothers andput that through the hole.
As a last resort you can get matching bolts from the Harley dealer, but I'll bet they want a lot more money than its worth.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
08Nightrain
Advanced

thanks the backs sound easy enough my fronts are on the forks and i would like to remove those as well if you have any ideas

Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
NCDEUCE
Intermediate

I was wanting to do the same to mine but was warned not to if you have the factory security system on your bike.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the factory security system, I wouldn't advise taking your signals off. As far as removing the fronts from the forks of a night train, they plug in under your tank, so unbolt the front of the tank, lift it up, and unplug them. It's that easy. I have a Softail Standard, and I've removed all 4 signals. I replaced my tail light with a Kuryaken LED that has integrated blinkers, so I can still use rear signals (if/when I chose).

Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The fronts are easy, except for the tank part. That can be a minor pain if the crossover tube istoo short and you can'tlift the tank enough to get at the connector.
Its a little tricky to get at then, but the latch for it is on the outside and all you have to do is get a long screwdriver up to it, depress it and pull it out by its wires.

This is what the connector looks like under the tank and its on the right or passenger side of the frame next to the connector for the right side handlebar controls.

The signals come off by unscrewing them from the bottom of the mirror. But you'll have to put a nut on or the mirrors will just fall off.

An chrome acorn nut is avalable from the dealers, but I just used a common one I got in the local hardware store and added a couple of washers to take up the extra space.

Like this.

If you have the security system installed you may have to either take it out or get a load equilizer resistor. The load resistor should put enough load on the system so it will not know that the lights are missing. But you will not be able to tell if the system is operating properly except from the dash lights as it normally usesthe turn signals for that.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
08Nightrain
Advanced

thanks for all the help seems fairly easy i apreciate it

Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 AM
renoa18
Tourer

Yeah don't do what I just did. I put new handle bars on my fatty and chrome pieces and I forgot to pull the turn signal wire out of the old black covers and now I have to cut them and then reconnect them. I am a dumb butt on this one.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could just move the fronts?

And as for the backs take a look at these.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...tId=&mmyId

They go on the end of the strut you can pC to match, they go on the end of struts

Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Swedish Night Train
Intermediate

I was reading this as I am thinking of replacing my original rear signals with smaller black ones, will this affect my alarm on my 07 NT ? Do I need to remove the rear brake light to fit the new signals ?
Thanks