Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow up question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Follow up question...

I think I'm going to do the frontend switch myself. So, is there anything that needs to be replaced other than the fork oil? I'm talking about throw away parts, like gaskets, etc. I already have all the big stuff. I also have the drain screw already too.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Follow up question...

Just did a Chrome Front End change myself. You want 2new Fork Oil Seals as well as 2 new Damper Bolts which should come with newsealing washers. I didn't change the Fork bushings since I only have 5k miles on my bike.

I did strip one of the Damper Bolts trying to take it out and added about 2 hours onto the install time but other than that it's an easy job. It was more trouble removing the Headlight and Passing Lamps as well as the Front Tins that cover up the Triple Tree so I could get to the Pinch bolts and Cow Bell Screws.

I have a few pictures that I took during dissaembly that I can post. Not sure they would help much.

Good Luck and take your time...

Mike
NY

Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the trick to not stripping the damper bolts. This seems to be a common problem.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARG

What's the trick to not stripping the damper bolts. This seems to be a common problem.
Not sure there is a trick. I did use an Air Impact wrench with an extended 6mm Allen key but one of the Damper bolts was real tight and it just spun in it. The Bolts allen head is not real deep so I suspect that is part of the issue. I actually wound up tapping a straight edge screw driver into it and was finally able to break it loose. The other one came right off without an issue...go figure...

Just be sure you have all the right tools before starting.

You will need some 12pt sockets to remove the Brake Caliper. I think it's a 10mm or 12mm.

I also bought a special Fork Stem Nut Socket. This may not be 100% needed but I bought it anyway and didn't scratch the Stem Nut.

http://www.ridegear.com/1/1/3755-for...-davidson.html

Mike
NY