Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any help here???

Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 AM
lvspringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help here???

I'm in the process of getting my tin ready for paint. However, on the Springer Classic front fender, there are bearing housings mounted to the fender through which the axel goes. Can these be removed? If so, how?

My local HD dealer says that when they order new tin, the bearing housings are in and they do not have any "special" tools for removing what appears to be the collar that would allow the housing to be removed. It's threadeded to accept the end caps but I'm not sure if these housing a meant to come off.

Any painters or Springer owners out there know?

I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Default RE: Any help here???

They come pressed in already. A good painter will know to carefully tape those completely closed. Play dumb and ask your painter how he takes care of not getting paint inside the bearings... That way he knows you're worried about it without making a scene.
I'm not sure how hard/easy it is to get those out and then repressed without bending those supports, they're pretty flexible. I've got a front fender all taken apart...I'll go out and look at it closer. It might be easier just to have him paint the outsides matching and make sure the front lip and insides stay clean for the axle.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Default RE: Any help here???

Okay...I checked mine out. My stock fender on the '03 has the bearing holder painted black but the spare black fender off an '04 I have doesn't have them painted, same as your picture shows. Go figure...