Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell in oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel smell in oil...

I was changing my oil on my 06 Fatboy (with EFI) today. I noticed a slight fuel smell in the oil. I have not fouled any plugs, don't have a problem with black smoke or any other indications of running too rich. Could it just be that b/c of several short rides, the fuel has built up in the fuel a little bit.

I did take it out the other day for about 30 miles and got it up to about 195 degrees.

thanks

I post this in the oil forum too, but wanted to get you softy guys opinions as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel smell in oil...

It is not uncommon to get some fuel in the oil. Did you buy your bike new? Was the motor properly broken in? The only way to get fuel in the oil is for it to leak by the piston rings. If the bike is sitting for long periods with unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber, it will leak by the rings and get into the sump.
Fuel in the oil will dilute the viscosity of the oil reducing its lubrication properties. I would change oil ASAP, then take the bike out for a good romp loading the motor up as much as possible. If the smell continues, you may need to re-ring the motor.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fuel smell in oil...

I did buy it new, and followed the break in procedures for the first 50 miles, 500 miles, etc. Switched to Syn 3 at 1000 miles, Amsoil at 4000 miles.
I have ridden the bike on some short (less than 20 miles) lately, and the engine temp has not been getting too high due to cold temps. Today, before changing the oil, I rode it a few miles to heat it up so I could drain the case. I know I didn't get it fully to operating temp, so I'm thinking I haven't gotten the bike hot enough, for long enough to burn the fuel off.