Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floating rotors. Are they worth the effort ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Arvis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating rotors. Are they worth the effort ?

Hi Guys,

Looking at the floating rotors on ebay. They sell around $90 each. Are they worth the money and effort replacing them ?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Floating rotors. Are they worth the effort ?

floating rotors are great on sportbikes,on the track..you wont notice any difference on your bike on the street.dont waste your money...

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: asputin

floating rotors are great on sportbikes,on the track..you wont notice any difference on your bike on the street.dont waste your money...
Couldn't agree more!! I don't know what kind of riding people are doing on harleys but unless they're tearing up canyon roads, floating rotors aren't a necessity. They do reduce the amount of vibration you'll feel through the controls, though. That alone is worth it to some. From a performance standpoint, it's not worth it. I think they look good, though.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It wasn't completely obvious and was almost masked as a negative endorsement but if I read between the lines I see that not only do they improve braking performance, they also reduce vibration.

Here's a more direct assessment: I ride with a motorcop in my HOG chapter. He swears by them. He and his wife went down in an accident a couple years ago (car pulled out in front of them). He said he spent a lot of time doing the accident reconstruction and determined that he would have been able to stop in time to avoid the accident if he had floating rotors installed.

Certainly I'm here on the Internet where everything is true. And of course I can write anything I want because I am protected and empowered by this sense of anonymity hiding behind my keyboard and mouse provides. But I'm being honest when I say that I am relaying factual information. I also trust this man. He is an educated, intelligent police officer with over 25 years of riding experience. If he's telling me I can expect 50% greater stopping power using a free floating rotor over the stock one piece rotor, I'm inclined to believe him.

Besides, no one has ever said that free floating rotors REDUCE braking ability. And there aren't too many accessories you can add to your bike for $100-150 that add as much functional benefit as they do good looks. There is no negative here. It's win win.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see an increase in braking power only if you go to a larger dia disc. The floating disc was developed to counteract slight warpage of the disc, giving smoother performance at max braking while entering corners. Works good at racing speeds and high speed twisty riding, but has little effect on straight line street braking.
They do look real trick though! More improvement can be had with stickier tires.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley stock rotors are as butt ugly as sin, and that's why I changed them.
For normal riding, floaters won't make any difference. What they do is dissipate heat 10 times better under heavy braking, which prevents warpage and brake fade. You'll probably never heat your brakes up that hot, unless you are stopping a lot of weight..
There is no stopping power difference under normal circumstances..
Stainless is stainless.....

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
MICHALISLARNACA
Cruiser

There are two kinds of riders, those who simply press hard on the brakes and those you use a three finger pull (like sport bike riders). Full floating rotors are much better due to their ability to follow the pads and do not warp. The traditional style is ok if you use the single piston calipers. If you have modern diff. brake caliper the floating is the way to go.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

It wasn't completely obvious and was almost masked as a negative endorsement but if I read between the lines I see that not only do they improve braking performance, they also reduce vibration.

Here's a more direct assessment: I ride with a motorcop in my HOG chapter. He swears by them. He and his wife went down in an accident a couple years ago (car pulled out in front of them). He said he spent a lot of time doing the accident reconstruction and determined that he would have been able to stop in time to avoid the accident if he had floating rotors installed.

Certainly I'm here on the Internet where everything is true. And of course I can write anything I want because I am protected and empowered by this sense of anonymity hiding behind my keyboard and mouse provides. But I'm being honest when I say that I am relaying factual information. I also trust this man. He is an educated, intelligent police officer with over 25 years of riding experience. If he's telling me I can expect 50% greater stopping power using a free floating rotor over the stock one piece rotor, I'm inclined to believe him.

Besides, no one has ever said that free floating rotors REDUCE braking ability. And there aren't too many accessories you can add to your bike for $100-150 that add as much functional benefit as they do good looks. There is no negative here. It's win win.
While I would never talk anyone out of using floating rotors, this story is incomplete at best. You do not gain stopping power from floating rotors.To increase stopping power, you add caliper pistons, increase rotor sizeorchange materials. I was a traffic investigator for quite some time (probably not as long as him, though) so I'd love to see some of his support for the statements. Cops don't do that much homework and then throw it out. See if he could scan some of the facts and share them.

On this websitejust a little waydown is a snippet about floating rotors. You'll see the focus is on the vibration reduction because that's the most significantadvantage you'll get out of them. You can also read just above thathow rotor size does increase stopping power. Furthermore, near the bottom you can read about braided lines. It mentions that they don't bulge which means the only place the fluid can go is to the caliper piston. Again, I'm all for this modification....go for it!! I think you'll notice the difference in feel (and like it) and they look great!! Just don't let the placebo affect your judgement thinking they'll stop you faster. While you're at it, I'd still suggest braided lines.

http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
texfatboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they increase your reaction time i would buy a set today.......kerry