Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
gt06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear pads

Hi All

Just a quick question regarding rear brake pads.Thought I would get a jump on things before the riding season starts and change out the rear brake pads while the weather outside is cold and miserable. My question is ...is it necessary to remove the rear wheel to change the pads or can it be done with the wheel in place.I guess I should have changed them last August when I removed my rear wheel to take it in to have the tire replaced.It was a case where ..." I'll do that later" came to mind.Thanks.

G.T.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rear pads

no you do not have to take the wheel off
pia no matter how you do it..

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
gt06
Intermediate

Is it just a matter of removing the 2 small bolts in the caliper or the 3 larger ones to split the caliper? It does look like it is a PIA without removing the wheel, but seems it will be a while before riding season ,here in Ontario ,Canada I figured time is something I have.

G.T.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Just an FYI...if you pull the three big bolts you'll lose brake fluid and have to bleed the brake once you redo the pads. The two small bolts hold the pads in place.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Am I missing something? Where does it show what kind of bike we're talking about? I can't change my rear pads without removing the rear wheel. The axle is holding the caliper (05 fatboy).

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Howie21
Advanced

Get a service manual. Pull two pins in the caliper, pry the pads off the disc, replace pads, outer one first. Slide pins back in. Replace inner pad. Tighten pins. pump brakes. The manual does state to remove the rear resovoir cap in case too much brake fluid is in there while you are prying the pads out.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM
jokr
Road Captain

I just did miner .Remove the two 12 point 1/4 inch bolts .Do not touch the 10mm 12point bolts . Spread the pads apart with a puttey knife and the pads drop out of the bottom. the two pads are different make sure you see witch side they come out of.Slid the new pads up their is a spring clip inside the caliper you might have to use a small phillups head screw driver through the bolt hole to move it into place. Should take 20 min.

4merRacer this is how you do it without taking the wheel off. softails and other bikes
any ? PLEASE PM ME THANX JOKR......................

Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, what a pita. I didn't even remove my pads. I had to take the whole thing out to remove the wheel which I wanted to change. Ended up undoing the big bolts and then had brake fluid pissing out everywhere.

Man, at that moment I hated my bike. Lol

As said above......... don't touch the big bolts, only the small 1/4 inch ones.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

DON'T TOUCH THE BIG BOLTS!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
gt06
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info.By the way my ride is a 2006 Heritage Classic. Good thing it was mentioned about not removing the large bolts, because the bike is in the living room and I'm sure it would be one heck of a mess to clean up on the old hard wood floor.I've been meaning to get the service manual but there is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum that picking up the manual is always on the back burner. Thanks again.

G.T.

Quick Reply: Rear pads