Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat issue Softail vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
rideforfun
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat issue Softail vs Dyna

I test rode a Heritage and a Low Rider. I noticed the Heritage put off more heat especially on my right inner thigh. I understand the Softails have the oil tank on the right side just under the seat and I was told by the dealer that the Dynas have their oil tank under the transmission. Could this be the reason for the extra heat? Has anyone else ridden both Softail and Dyna models and noticed a difference? I'm deciding between a Softail Custom and a Super Glide Custom and this will help me decide. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heat issue Softail vs Dyna

The only thing I can think of is the counterbalance in the B-Model engines is more moving parts, more heat.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Hey Brother I have riden both the Dyna and my Softail Custom and I didn't notice a big difference but the Softail has the motor hard mounted to the frame which means you are closer to the engine and the oil tank which may feel hotter. Hey just my opinion lets see what the other's have to say.

Later

Bone

Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

You nailed it. It is a combination of the oil tank and sitting closer to the engine. The 96's also run quite a bit hotter than the 88's. This is due in part to the larger displacement, but more to do with how lean they run from the factory. Put a tuner on it to richen it up and it will run quite a bit cooler. There is no way I would leave my 08 TC96 at the factory settings. They run so hot that it has to be taking life off the engine. If they keep tightening the emissions standards, I wouldn't be suprised if all Harleys are watercooled in the near future.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify, if you look at that big chrome thing sticking out on both sides of the bike under the seat, that's the oil tank. There's just as much oil tankon the left side as there is on the right side. Unless you're on a night train, then the tank is black.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More heat on right side is exhaust heat along w/oil tank. Nomad is right adout seating position.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

That shaking motor kinda acts like a fan... LOL

Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

I think it has to do with the crossover pipes too. True to some degree on the baggers. Lots of people went to true duals and the problem went away. Stage one helps it cool. Oil cooler too.

Remember, the oil has to get to at least 185 degrees. Normally runs about 220 on a bike that is tuned right. What that does is actually help the oil, by keeping water from building up in it. Oil is more viscous, so it doesn't boil as readily. Adding an oil cooler may help.

Harleys don't really run like they should until you've got about an hours worth of highway riding on them anyway. When you do that, you keep things moving through all of the important parts for a good while, and you have enough air to keep the motor to a reasonable temp. Course, when you stop, you know it. Baggers are notorious for it. But if I had to wager a guess as to exactly what is causing it to get so hot, I'd say look at the crossover pipe. And in the stock or stage one exhaust, the right side is the pipe that sees the most usage. Therefore, the heat comes off of the right side. The FXSTC exhaust is set up differently than the Heritage. The heat problem for any of the bikes with that exhaust setup is more severe. But they all do get hot. Hotter without the Stage one. Cooler with stage one plus an oil cooler. Better still with a different exhaust.

The issue is fixable. Depends on where you live and to what extent you want to go. Heat is nice in the winter. Keeps the important parts warmer.