Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Race Tune Or ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Softail Deluxe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Race Tune Or ???

HD Race Tune or Power Commander ... which would be the better way to go and why ?

2007 Softail Deluxe

Thanks in advance guys

Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: HD Race Tune Or ???

Too bad the search engine is not working because there are alot ofopinions on this topic. I can't help but I know you will get different opinions depending upon who you ask. Kind of like the IRS with a tax question. I do think you can do a search with google but I'm not sure how you do it maybe someone will post it. Good Luck

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had both. The race tuner works better. Also, I am told that Harley now refuses to install the Power Commander because it wears with vibration and has shown a tendancy to fry the bike'scentral control computer.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion- Check around with your local shops who have techs experienced with tuning. Choose the Race Tuner or Power Commander based on local experience. It does you no good to choose one or the other, only to have no help on the local level. You may have to go to an Indy Wrench to get a Power Commander worked, unless you call Jamie at Fuel Moto- he can get you a custom map, based on the mods you've done to your scooter. On the other hand, if your local HD dealership has a dyno, and a tech who's got good experience, the Race Tuner may be your best option. I chose the thePower Commander because of experience. I have 4 HD dealerships within 45 min of me, but NONE have a dyno, or a tech who is really experienced with the Race Tuner. But, I do have an Indy Shop who has a DynoJet Dyno, and they can back me up (if/when I need). Hope this information helps you make a decision.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
MemphisBiker
Advanced

I agree with what beaureed445 said, find out what your tuner is comfortable/competent using. If you go to the powercommander website, it has a search function that allowsyou to search for dealers/tuners near your area http://www.powercommander.com.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

I used a Thundermax with Auto tune.
No need for Dyno time and will automaticlly tune it self.
Just need a map loaded.
I loaded my own to get going and my dealer updated to one for my bike and area.
Only need a laptop to do.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the SERT on my FatBoy...

Talked with a couple of 'tuners' that have a good reputation and came highly recommended, and they both recommended the Race Tuner.

Afterhaving it installed, and getting a good dyno tune, I'm very happy with the results... The bike is much happier now.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Have had both. The race tuner works better. Also, I am told that Harley now refuses to install the Power Commander because it wears with vibration and has shown a tendancy to fry the bike'scentral control computer.
I've heard that before from someone at the dealership near my house and i think its a line of **** harley spits to get you to buy there race tuner. On the flip side of that, i have nothing against the race tuner and it was a close decision for me on the power commander and race tuner. With that said, i went with the power commander custom tuned by Fuel Moto upon it getting good reviews here and i couldnt be happier. The fact that its easy around my parts to find someone who has a dyno and can tune a power commander makes it that much better, but fuel moto also says they will reprogram the power commander for any mods you may add after purchase. So far, there customer service was top notch and the price was pretty good as well. Either way, you cant go wrong.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
POKJWS
Cruiser

I agree. From all the info I gathered here on these forums, I went with Fuelmotto. and PC III. Other point is that the SERT can only be used on one bike, plus it reflashes the ECM, were as the PCIII only over rides the ECM. SERT doesn't stay on the bike as does the PCIII. Remove PCIII, bike reverts to stock configuration.
ORIGINAL: DrawDown

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

I've heard that before from someone at the dealership near my house and i think its a line of **** harley spits to get you to buy there race tuner. On the flip side of that, i have nothing against the race tuner and it was a close decision for me on the power commander and race tuner. With that said, i went with the power commander custom tuned by Fuel Moto upon it getting good reviews here and i couldnt be happier. The fact that its easy around my parts to find someone who has a dyno and can tune a power commander makes it that much better, but fuel moto also says they will reprogram the power commander for any mods you may add after purchase. So far, there customer service was top notch and the price was pretty good as well. Either way, you cant go wrong.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
jokr
Road Captain

Had my pipes installed at my H-D dealer they put th powercommander in and dyno tuned the bike it runs great[ The bike is a 2007 deluxe]

Quick Reply: HD Race Tune Or ???