Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may be asking for trouble but...

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I may be asking for trouble but...

I'm pretty stoked, I just signed my wife up for a Basic Rider Course at a local community college. For $125 they supply books, helmet and bike and if she successfully completes the she will not have to take the DMV licensing exam.

I just hope she finds the passion for the long open road that we have.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: I may be asking for trouble but...

I don't know why it would be trouble, man thats awsome. my wife has her own ride, she rides a 79 shovel and loves it. it used to be her dads bike, but he can't ride anymore due to health, so I bought it from him.
we still ride two up now and then, but it's pretty fun ridin two bikes as well. the nice thing is to switch back and forth, I'll hop on her shovel now and again, and she'll ride the NT every now and then. awsome experience.
last september we took a 400 mile overnight trip on the two bikes, nothin better.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife did the same thing a few years back. It's great to always have a riding partner, but now she absolutley refuses to ride behind me. I kinda miss my "pillowed" backrest if ya catch my drift .

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
jhanmer
4th Gear

Hi Mike,
The first time my wife took a 3 day course,she had never ridden before,every time she popped the clutch in first gear she did a wheely and stayed on the bike with no tip overs,theres just to much info for her to learn in a three day course,
So the next time she took a seven day course and passed it all and had her licence on the spot,but before that I bought a Honda 250 for her to practice on,shes been riding since 2001 now and just loves the it.
Now I'm not saying that your better half can not do it in a three day course but I would try the week course for her, just my 2 cents,take care,Johnny from the cold country of Minnesota

Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
cskyler22
Advanced

That's awesome. You can definetely learn from the rider's course. By the way, If your military, or spouse, all military installations do a free Motorcycle Safety Course (MSF). If you pass, then you don't have to take the state exam. In fact to ride on post, it's mandatory now to have the MSF course.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
SinCityHOG
Intermediate

That's cool Mike,
I wish I could talk my wife into it. I only have one bike for now but i would have kept my sporty if she wanted to ride with me. We could still do the rental thing if she had her endorsement. Oh well, I don't mind having her on the back...As Sarge4life says the pillowed back rest is nice..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just kidding about asking trouble. I would love to have her as a riding partner (with her Muay-Thai background she is great in bar fights).

My hopes are that the 3 day course will get her far enough along that I can take over (I didn't want her starting off with one of my bikes). After the course I plan on spending a fair amount of time on the back roads with her, big different between riding the road and riding in a parking lot.

Well, I didn't really talk her into it, I just registered her and told her after the fact. She had a couple of excuses, but finally gave in. I have an 07 Sporty 1200C for her and I will keep my Rocker (don't mind sharing, but have to draw the line somewhere).

Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

my old lady will not even ride the back of my bike. she tells her friends she says goodby to me in late april until winter. she is afraid of bikes and nothing i can do will change her mind. it may be from the fear i inposed on her when i was seventeen and got my first bike a brand new sporster. she may be remembering them days

Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife says she'd like to learn to ride but she's kind of a clutz. I don't mind but, if she did learn to ride, I wouldn't want her riding alone for a long time. I do enjoy riding with her on the back. We always have fun and I feel like a teenager.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife took the course and had fun. She passed it with no problem, and she had never ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. I bought her a '07 1200 Low back in May. She rode it for a few months and she wound up dropping it a few times and lost all confidence. She wound up deciding that riding her own just wasn't for her. I really liked going for rides with her on her own bike. I thought it was more fun. She might wind up getting a trike one day, if she decides she wants her own. That way she doesn't have to worry about the balance part so much, and she can still enjoy the feeling of being on a bike.

Good luck to you and your wife. I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I may be asking for trouble but...