Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick some bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
smuff
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me pick some bars

I'm a bigger guy and I want some new bars for my fatboy. I like the look of some pull back drag bars, beach bars and some of the smaller sized ape's. I just want something that will be comfortable for my 6'5" frame. I think beach bars would get a little too close to my knees. I like the apes but this is my first harley and I don't have any idea how much of a pain riding with ape's is. So if any of you could offer some suggestions for a bigger guy like me I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me pick some bars

Hey Brother welcome to the HD Family, I ride a Softail Custom with half apes and they feel fine, I had pull backs on my Sportster but the apes feel better, just my opinion.

Ride Safe and Ride Long...

Bone

Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
willie37
Cruiser

You can do like i did and bend up some conduit to the shape you want and then go online and check out the size you want. F&L has stainless bars, Flanders makes almost any shape you could ever come up with. I like the 12 rise with a eight inch pull back and two inches wider than stock on my O5 Heritage. I am 6'1' but only have a 32 inch inseam so i need the higher bars. My arm lay almost flat out. Hope this helps

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Carlini pullback drag bars on my Deuce, and I have Wild One Chubby 12.5" Apes on my bike now. The apes are MUCH more comfortable. They bring my arms to shoulder level. I'm only 5'6", so you would need taller apes to get to shoulder height. When the bars are low, you have to reach down for them, which will make you bend your back a little. This could get uncomfortable on longer rides. Taller bars allow you to keep your back straight, and will let youdo a lot of miles with no pain. So my recommendation would be to take a look at some 16" apes. At least look at 14". As long as they are shoulder height or just a bit under, they'll be the most comfortable bars you ever own. If you go above your shoulders, you run the risk of having your hands fall asleep because of the lack of blood flow. That's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, and it ain't worth much.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Peekon
Tourer

i started with the 12.5" wild1 chubbys and ended up with the 16". i'm 5'10" , everyone told me that the apes were a pain, my hands would fall asleep, steering was hard, riding slow was harder with apes, basiclly everthing you can think of. i put them on and will never ride without them again. to me it's kinda like power steering. my hands don't fall asleep anymore than they did before and i don't have any cushion on my grips. ust some inner tube ribber for grip (secret key to hands not falling asleep, don't white knucle the grips) actually my hands hurt more with the factory bars because i was always leaning on my wrist. Since i have put them on of almost all of the people i ride with on a regular basis has put them on. either 12.5" or 16", some of these guys were the same nay sayers who told me not to do it and swore they never would.none of us are as tall as you though. you may want 16" or 18".

as far as riding and steering it will feel a little strange on the first ride but any change usually does.

you sit up straighter and less back fatigue from bending over.

try them for yourself i don't think you will think i was wrong. if you have any concerns just email me

enjoy the ride,

Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the 4th set of bars on this bike. I've had Carlini clean sweep drags, knuckle bars, beach bars, and finally these 13" apes. These are by far the most comfortable.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10047/726A128159D64F0F852883C77B736119.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

I am running 10" apes on my deluxe with 1 1/2" risers. I am 5'10" and they feel great.The apes makes a much more comfortable ride for me. No regrets
I was torn though between 10" apes or the 504 chubbies. The 504 wild 1 chubby bars are a direct bolt on for your fat boy. No cable change.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM
smuff
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks alot. It sounds like an ape is the way to go for a comfortable ride for a big guy. Thanks for all your input.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: willie37

You can do like i did and bend up some conduit to the shape you want and then go online and check out the size you want. F&L has stainless bars, Flanders makes almost any shape you could ever come up with. I like the 12 rise with a eight inch pull back and two inches wider than stock on my O5 Heritage. I am 6'1' but only have a 32 inch inseam so i need the higher bars. My arm lay almost flat out. Hope this helps
Great idea, using something like conduit to make the shape, that youfeel is the best fit.
Tom

Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I REALLY love the Wild 1 beach bars on my Heritage Springer. However, being as tall as you are I don't know if you might have your knuckles in your knees while you were riding.

Quick Reply: Help me pick some bars