Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get arlen ness grips to fit and work right?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
REBELWEST
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get arlen ness grips to fit and work right?

Hey guys, Ive been trying to put my Arlin Ness grips on and seem to be having trouble.The instructions says to cut a half inch from the handelbars or move the controls over a half inch. So i tryed moving the controls over,but Im worried that this may cause some problems!! Like stretching the cables, or the trottel sticking! Ive got them on but they seem to be scrapping against something on the inside, and also seem to have alittle to much play.Is any of this normal??? PLEASE any help that you can offer will be much appreciated. Sincerly Nick West.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
WIEVORIDER
Intermediate
Default RE: how to get arlen ness grips to fit and work right?

Instructions should say to cut off the half inch to install the supplied bar end roller bearing. If you don't have the bearing, then you did not get the whole kit. The bearing takes up the difference, and controls alighnment so controls stay in the factory location. Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
REBELWEST
Advanced

wievorider, i really didnt want to cut my handelbars, that is why i moved my controls over! But Im worried that it might have stretched my cables!!! Also there is a scratching/grinding sound coming from the inside of the controls. I think it is the teeth that hold the cables rubing against the inside of the control housing!!! Also the throttle seems to have alittle more play than the stock one. Is this normal.Thanks for your time.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
cskyler22
Advanced

ORIGINAL: REBELWEST

wievorider, i really didnt want to cut my handelbars, that is why i moved my controls over! But Im worried that it might have stretched my cables!!! Also there is a scratching/grinding sound coming from the inside of the controls. I think it is the teeth that hold the cables rubing against the inside of the control housing!!! Also the throttle seems to have alittle more play than the stock one. Is this normal.Thanks for your time.
I don't know about the arlen ness controls, but i do know on the HD aftermarket grips, there was a little extra play in the throttle. All i did, as well asa few others that i talked with, we just tightened the cruise control **** just a pinch to stop the extra play. The throttle doesnt stick and never had any problems

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you have 1" bars,otherwise moving the grips over would leave a big gap where the bars step back down to 1" and would look stupid.The correct way to do them is to cut the bars,it's easy,go for it.If you don't cut them won't the throttle side actually be longer by 1/2" because you're adding the roller bearing to the end of the bar on that side?If you have something scraping in there I would bet somethings loose in there,check that little wedge piece that goes on the end of the thumbscrew,they can pop loose and cause friction so the throttlewon't operate smoothly.Good Luck

Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
REBELWEST
Advanced

Cskyler, i tightened the cruise control **** a little, now it works awesome! Thank you!!!

DR.Greenthumb, yes I do have 1 inch bars, there is no trouble in moving the controls down!

You are correct about the throttle side being 1/2 inch longer. But after I put the left grip on it was about an 8th of an inch from the controls. So it looks like I will have to move the left side controls down alittle to. Now my question is would it be O.K. to move the left gripover to the left 1/2 inch and then move the controls flush against them. This would make both grips and both sets of controls the same distance from the middle. But there would be a 3/8 inch gap inside the left grip. Would the gap inside the left gripmake a difference??? Would it or could it cause any problems???Thank you for your time everyone,Nick