Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commander USB Map I II III For Dummies?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 PM
blackdenimbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander USB Map I II III For Dummies?!?!?!?!?

What is it how does it work and who needs it? I a newby and would like to learn. Can any one help?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Default RE: Power commander USB Map I II III For Dummies?!?!?!?!?

It is a plug and play fuel management system. It plugs into your ECM and adjusts the air/fuel mixture. The map is the program that you download into it to tune it to your bike's configuration. If you want more info go to http://www.dynojet.com

Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM
blackdenimbiker
Cruiser

Thanx sarge!!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
sparky248
Intermediate

I'm out here with blackdenim, If I already have had the ECM download for my pipes (python staggered duals) and stage 1 kit for my 04 wideglide what advantage can a power commander give me?
I have read here that factory downloads tend to run lean and hot? But my bike seems to run like a dream to me.. I have plenty of power. no sluggishness, and nice acceleration,
I do think she runs a little hot, especially notice when sitting in traffic, but other then that.. Will I get better mpg?, significant cooler running, more horsepower???? Just trying to understand, been riding for 25+ years but was only able to move to american made 4 years ago, new to the forum and have been eating up all the great knowledge from everyone and learning tons along the way..

remember what the dormouse said.- Feed Your Head!

thanks all

2004 FXDWGI
Python Staggered Duals
SE Stage 1
Chrome this
Chrome that
lots of miles

Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"remember what the dormouse said.- Feed Your Head!"

dormouse? I'm pretty sure that was the Dodo....I hate it when they get the words wrong....just sayin'...

Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
blackdenimbiker
Cruiser

So it does the same thing as the DFO or the Cobra fi2000? I had the vance and hines Big Radius installed on my train and they said they needed to re Map it and installed the Cobra fi2000. It ran fine for a while, wasted more fuel than stock and nowmy exhaustsometimes "pops" when I release the throttle. Is that a back fire? What can I do to fix it? Will I be able to install a Power Commander on my bike what will I need? I am looking for something I can do without taking it to a shop and pay them to do it. Im good with cars and looking to get into fixing my own harley!! Thanx for all the info so far!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

ORIGINAL: sparky248

I'm out here with blackdenim, If I already have had the ECM download for my pipes (python staggered duals) and stage 1 kit for my 04 wideglide what advantage can a power commander give me?
I have read here that factory downloads tend to run lean and hot? But my bike seems to run like a dream to me.. I have plenty of power. no sluggishness, and nice acceleration,
I do think she runs a little hot, especially notice when sitting in traffic, but other then that.. Will I get better mpg?, significant cooler running, more horsepower???? Just trying to understand, been riding for 25+ years but was only able to move to american made 4 years ago, new to the forum and have been eating up all the great knowledge from everyone and learning tons along the way..

remember what the dormouse said.- Feed Your Head!

thanks all

2004 FXDWGI
Python Staggered Duals
SE Stage 1
Chrome this
Chrome that
lots of miles

Stage I is basically what harley calls a combination of three components for your bike. Pipes or mufflers, a high flow air filter, and a fuel mangement system. According to the owners manual, if you change one thing, pipes or mufflers, the stock ecm fuel management system will handle it ok, although you may get a lean decel pop. which is ok too, just makes your bike run like **** compared to a dyno.
If you change the air filter, you HAVE to change the fuel management, or you will ruin you engine. PCIII is one of the options out there, it's an aftermarket little box that plugs into your stock ecm and manages how much fuel you get. there are stock ecm maps you can download from the dynojet site, or you can have your bike dynotuned at the dealer and get a custom map done.
I run a map from the site for my high flow air filter and hooker troublemaker exhaust. works good for me, but I may spend some extra cash this year for a dyno.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
sparky248
Intermediate

Thanks Imboden, that does help me understand why someone would need or want to add this 3rd party fuel management.. Obviously much more control; and highly "tweakable" as I read on their site.

I do get a bit of decel pop and have wondered how bad that is for the engine or the pipes. I can also see how you would also ultimately save tons of money from having to go to the stealer to get this done every time you wanted to make some kind of adjustment or just simple updated calibrations..

Thanks again-

Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 AM
sparky248
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

"remember what the dormouse said.- Feed Your Head!"

dormouse? I'm pretty sure that was the Dodo....I hate it when they get the words wrong....just sayin'...

Well night train, I guess you must be just too young, the quote was obviously from Jefferson Airplanes "White Rabbit" song and references heavily Alice In Wonderland. It is most definitely a "Dormouse" and he was quite a character at the Mad HAtters tea party..

here are a couple of links- one to the lyrics and one to what a dormouse is..

http://www.babaganoo.com/songs/white.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormous..._Wonderland%29

.....just sayin'....

Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick Reply: Power commander USB Map I II III For Dummies?!?!?!?!?