Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage questions from a bored Marine in Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
USMC Mustang
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heritage questions from a bored Marine in Iraq

Hello all,
It is a balmy Saturday night in Iraq and I was able to fight the lines at the internet center to get a computer andbrowse hdforums. I have a few questions i was hoping could get answered.

First of all, I sold my Night train before deployment and allI can think about is picking up a new scoot when I get back. I really think a Heritage is what i'm leaning towards. I'm looking for a little more comfort and the bags are great for commuting(SoCal) when i'm not in Iraq. Since i will be coming home with a decent amount of cash in 53 days, I wanted to put more serious thought into it. I have also considered a FatBoy, but the Heritage is a good looking bike to me, plus, you get the bags, windshield and passing lamps.I digress, here are my questions.

1. Do you like your Heritage?

2. Pros/Cons

3. were there any other major changes to the Heritagesince 2001 except for the 96ci and 6 speed in 07?

4. Anyone running a 160 out back and 18 inch rims? if so, any problems?

5. Can i put mini apes on it to replace those weird bars that come stock on them without swapping cables?

That should be about it. I appreciate any and all responses. I should be able to check back in a few days.

Peter

Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
FGC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heritage questions from a bored Marine in Iraq

first thanks for your service. as far as the heritage you cant go wrong w/it imo i have an 07 and love it. the bags come in handy and the windshield is also a plus.at first i didnt want a windshield but after about a week of riding w/it i have not removed it even though it only takes seconds to do so. i am not aware of any major changes in the bike over the last several years other than as you have mentioned(96 & 6 speed) I believe mini apes will require new cables.beach bars may be an option.otherwise the bike is a great ride.be safe and thanks again

Old 03-01-2008, 01:46 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

Thank you very much for your service!

I have Fatboy, its just like the Heritage, but 200mm rear wheel and other little things. I liked the styling better so I threw on bags and tourpak and many think I have a heritage when they see it. I have a few buddies with Heritages and they love them and I absolutely love my fatboy. I love the counterbalanced engine and I have almost no vibration at idle and highway speeds.

You might want to consider renting before buying, my dealer offered me an extended road test on any bike in thier rental stable when he found I was serious and I've heard they sometimes put the rental cost towards the purchase if you buy. My dealer also offers discounts for Miltary, Police and Fire.

Thanks Again!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

I love mine, I"ve been told the rear passenger pillion isn't that comfortable.
2nd, travel on down to kuwait and buy your scoot there and have it shipped home

Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
classiceddie
Novice

Peter,
I really think that since you do like the styling of the Fat Boy that the Heritage may be your choice. The Heritage is a good bang for the buck and if you ever get tired of the bags, windshield, and backrest they can easily be stripped off changing the look of the bike. Which is very similiar to the Fat Boy. The stock bars on the heritage are actually not to bad. I adjusted them so they were more in line with the front forks and they look alot like mini apes. Another thing you may consider is EFI and you won't have to worry about those cold starts with the choke.
Good Luck Bro.

Thanks for your service.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong no matter what with a heritage that's a great bike. Thank you for everything you guys do over there and get home safe man!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Fatboy has radial tires and rides great. You can add bags and windshield for nominal cost. I was going to get a heritage but wanted to remove the sagging bags when not used and the bike does not look well with them off. Test drive, test drive, and test drive. Also you will need a stage 1 for what ever you get because the new bikes run too hot to ride. That is caused by EPA. I wanted to keep the stock look so i added the stage 1 with slip on mufflers. Check out my picture link and you will see the bags on the bike.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
tractor man
Stage I

ORIGINAL: CoyoteJoe

Thank you very much for your service!

I have Fatboy, its just like the Heritage, but 200mm rear wheel and other little things. I liked the styling better so I threw on bags and tourpak and many think I have a heritage when they see it. I have a few buddies with Heritages and they love them and I absolutely love my fatboy. I love the counterbalanced engine and I have almost no vibration at idle and highway speeds.

You might want to consider renting before buying, my dealer offered me an extended road test on any bike in thier rental stable when he found I was serious and I've heard they sometimes put the rental cost towards the purchase if you buy. My dealer also offers discounts for Miltary, Police and Fire.

Thanks Again!

Hi Coyote Love the look of your Fatboy---I note that you have a rack on the lid of the tourpak,would you have a part number for this if it's a genuine HD item Many thanks H

Old 03-01-2008, 07:00 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

08 Heritage here. Love it .

Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
wydgage
Advanced

first of all, get home safe and sound. then check out the Heritage. i love mine. absolutely no complaints.

Quick Reply: Heritage questions from a bored Marine in Iraq