Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low cost lowering shocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM
danosrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low cost lowering shocks ?

Anybody ever use these or have any information? they seem to be to good to be true, slim, chrome adjustable and cheap on ebay!

Might consider to put these if reviews are ok??

Dan O
Pittsburgh PA.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
danosrs
Advanced
Default RE: Low cost lowering shocks ?

Hmmmmm, not sure why no photo??

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...srs/shocks.jpg

Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U get what you pay for.....

Remember that.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

what lionsqrne said.
Also maybe your thicker wallet could save your *** from a rough ride

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Never seen those. I'd be leary.

There are basically two preferred (inexpensive) methods for lowering. One is a kit similar to the Burnout Cycles kit. J&P Cycles has one similar. These will run you about $100. The up side is they use the stock shocks and don't require disassembly of the shock.

The other is a kit that provides you longer shock post bolts. There are many variations of these floating around and they all do the same thing. However, prices vary from as low as $15 to as much as $200 depending on brand names. Like the other kit, these use the stock shocks. Different from the other kits, these will require disassembly of the shock to install the bolts. This can run about $25-40 labor depending on your location. You can do it yourself if you have the means to compress the shocks. A few of the more expensive variations of these kits will include a kickstand. Those are the only ones that give any indication they are worth more than the less expensive cousins. I used a $15 kit on one of my bikes. It installed fine and despite lowering a good 2+", did not require a new kickstand. I can't see any extra value in spending more than 10X that for a kit from Ness. Bolts are bolts. But results will vary I'm sure.

For most, these kits offer the best bang for the buck, even if you went with the Ness slam kit which appears to be one of the most overpriced of them all. As long as you are content with the ride of the stock shocks, these will lower your bike on a budget. If you are not happy with the stock shocks performance, these kits will not make it any better. If anything, reports are that it can make the ride a bit more harsh. Several factors contribute to that: roads surfaces you ride on, weight of the rider, 2-up versus 1-up, how low you go and what preload you set on the shocks.

If you don't like the stock shocks, you are better off going with an aftermarket shock that gives you a better ride over stock and offers the ability to lower your bike, such as Progressive shocks. And if your wallet is bottomless you could look into an air ride shock solution.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
danosrs
Advanced

I agree you get what you pay for, but I have a daytec softail frame and the typical 99 and older softail shocks wont fit, only "works" narrow body shocks. Was hoping someone had these installed and could give some feedback on if they are junk or not, I expect they are import's?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

+1

Nothing good for a Harley is low cost.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

if you are cruisin on ebay for a deal, just type in harley progressive, and watch it for a few weeks. I just got a set of progressive 422's for 80 bucks. but I've been patient too, just gotta wait and watch!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bensonjv
what type/brand did you use that only cost 15/20 dollars I have considered dropping my bike several times only don't like the idea of having to take the shock apart. any info appreciated....
Never seen those. I'd be leary.

There are basically two preferred (inexpensive) methods for lowering. One is a kit similar to the Burnout Cycles kit. J&P Cycles has one similar. These will run you about $100. The up side is they use the stock shocks and don't require disassembly of the shock.

The other is a kit that provides you longer shock post bolts. There are many variations of these floating around and they all do the same thing. However, prices vary from as low as $15 to as much as $200 depending on brand names. Like the other kit, these use the stock shocks. Different from the other kits, these will require disassembly of the shock to install the bolts. This can run about $25-40 labor depending on your location. You can do it yourself if you have the means to compress the shocks. A few of the more expensive variations of these kits will include a kickstand. Those are the only ones that give any indication they are worth more than the less expensive cousins. I used a $15 kit on one of my bikes. It installed fine and despite lowering a good 2+", did not require a new kickstand. I can't see any extra value in spending more than 10X that for a kit from Ness. Bolts are bolts. But results will vary I'm sure.

For most, these kits offer the best bang for the buck, even if you went with the Ness slam kit which appears to be one of the most overpriced of them all. As long as you are content with the ride of the stock shocks, these will lower your bike on a budget. If you are not happy with the stock shocks performance, these kits will not make it any better. If anything, reports are that it can make the ride a bit more harsh. Several factors contribute to that: roads surfaces you ride on, weight of the rider, 2-up versus 1-up, how low you go and what preload you set on the shocks.

If you don't like the stock shocks, you are better off going with an aftermarket shock that gives you a better ride over stock and offers the ability to lower your bike, such as Progressive shocks. And if your wallet is bottomless you could look into an air ride shock solution.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: imboden

if you are cruisin on ebay for a deal, just type in harley progressive, and watch it for a few weeks. I just got a set of progressive 422's for 80 bucks. but I've been patient too, just gotta wait and watch!
DamnI should be so lucky.......